This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRITISH RAIL MIDLAND REGION LONDON RUGBY LINE BRIDGE NUMBER 115 (FOLLY BRIDGE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRITISH RAIL MIDLAND REGION LONDON RUGBY LINE BRIDGE NUMBER 115 (FOLLY BRIDGE)

List entry Number: 1078025

Location

BRITISH RAIL MIDLAND REGION LONDON RUGBY LINE BRIDGE NUMBER 115 (FOLLY BRIDGE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tring

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355683

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING BRITISH RAIL: SP 91 SW MIDLAND REGION LONDON-RUGBY LINE 4/46 Bridge No. 115 - (Folly Bridge) GV II Partly in Marsworth Parish, Bucks. Road bridge over railway at Tring Cutting. Circa 1837 by Robert Stephenson for the London and Birmingham Railway Company. Brown brick with stone impost bands, skewbacks, cornice, and parapet copings. Northern parapet rebuilt for safety reasons in red brick with triangular section concrete copings. A long narrow three-arched bridge with working controlled by traffic lights on the B488 road, where it crosses the great Tring Cutting, 2½ miles long and here about 50ft deep. A higher 7-ring segmental arch in middle over trackbed with slender rectangular pier at foot of earth slope on each side, and tall opening through each pier with round arched head and bottom. Slightly lower segmental 7-ring side arches to abutments buried in earth slope. Wide unmoulded stone cornice at roadway level with brick parapet and rectangular terminal piers with weathered stone copings remaining on S side. The cutting was made necessary by Stephenson's decision to have a maximum gradient of 1/330 on the line, and there is a well known lithograph by J.C. Bourne showing an army of navvies excavating it. The line was opened 9 April 1838. The county boundary with Buckinghamshire follows the centre-line of the road over the bridge. (Leleux(1976)13-15.).

Listing NGR: SP9379413970

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 93794 13970

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:34:40.

End of official listing