CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1080155
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1974
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, RICKMANSWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080155 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:51:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, RICKMANSWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hillingdon (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 08269 91792

Details



804/3/372 RICKMANSWORTH ROAD 06-SEP-74 (Northeast side) CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

II 1852-3 by Samuel Sanders Teulon. N aisle added 1894 by JEK and JP Cutts (Cherry and Pevsner) or 1895 by Messrs Fassnidge of Uxbridge (Clarke). Nave extended W by 4.5m and the S aisle and W baptistry added 1927 by WC Waymouth.

MATERIALS: Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Red tiled roof as except grey Welsh slates to the spire.

PLAN: Six-bay nave, S aisle and porch, chancel and S chapel, W baptistry, tower with spire at E end of N aisle, NE vestry.

EXTERIOR: The style of this Gothic revival church is derived from medieval work of the late C13 and early C14. The church presents a symmetrical W end of three gables to the main road, the nave being higher and wider than the flanking aisles. A baptistry with two flanking vestibules is attached to the W end of the nave below the W window. The nave W window has a 1-2-1 rhythm under a superarch. The aisle W windows have flowing tracery, and are designed to match one another. The S elevation of the church is dominated by two paired gables, each containing a two-light window: this arrangement resembles transepts but there is no such expression internally. The E window is of three lights and the other windows are mostly a variety of one-, and two-light designs. The tower has been surrounded by subsequent building campaigns but its low, chamfered spire is still an important visual feature: at the base of each of the W and S sides there is a clock face beneath a gable. The S porch has an ornate timber superstructure on a stone base.

INTERIOR: Aisles have been added to create six-bay arcades on either side of the formerly aisleless nave. The N arcade has double-chamfered arches, and round piers and capitals. The S arcade was built to a very different design, apparently after much debate on the matter: the arches die into the piers and the N and S faces have shafts rising to the corbels for the wall-posts of the roof. The chancel arch has foliage corbels, semi-circular responds and a moulded arch. The roof over the nave is of hammer-beam construction.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Although they have been moved, the font and pulpit appear to date from the building of the church. A few pews are thought to date from the 1850s (some on the S side of the central alley) but the others have been added to the same design and form a largely complete ensemble. The reredos, bearing Instruments of the Passion, and the flanking arcading, date from the original church. Many windows contain stained glass by a variety of artists. That in the Lady Chapel SE window and in two windows in the N aisle probably dates back to 1854. There is a Morris & Co window of 1887 designed by Edward Burne Jones in the Lady Chapel SW window. Other artists and makers are represented by Powell & Sons (E window, 1935, Lady Chapel E, 1933); Shrigley & Hunt (St George, S aisle, 1920); and Sir Ninian Comper (baptistry, W, 1930).

HISTORY: The church was originally built to serve the northern part of Ruislip parish by Robert Grosvenor, 1st Baron Ebury. The foundation stone was laid on 12 October 1852 and the consecration took place on 5 January 1854. At the time the area was agricultural and the church was known as the 'Church in the Meadows'. The arrival of the Metropolitan Railway in 1887 led to population growth, hence the need for the addition of the N aisle (consecrated 12 October 1895). Continued expansion led on to the lengthening of the nave and addition of the S aisle in 1927. The original architect of the church, Samuel Sanders Teulon (1812-73), was a well-known and active church architect who worked primarily, as in Lord Ebury's case, for low Church clients. His work is often made striking by the use of structural polychromy and exotic architectural details. However, here at Northwood we see 'his least ostentatious mood' (Cherry and Pevsner).

SOURCES: Cherry, B and Pevsner, N The Buildings of England: London 3: North West (1991), 342. Clarke, T, Holy Trinity Northwood: a Guide (c.2005).

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Church of the Holy Trinity, Northwood, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * An early Victorian church by SS Teulon, added to sensitively in the late C19 and early C20. * It is an imposing building, prominently visible on the main A404 road. * It has a good collection of stained glass by leading C19 and C20 artists and makers.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
202940
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01032/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian G Stokes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].