CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1081220
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081220.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:00:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Oddingley
National Grid Reference:
SO 91448 59050

Details

ODDINGLEY CP CHURCH LANE (south side) SO 95 NW 6/195 (18/1C) Church of St James 14.3.69 GV II*

Parish church. C15, altered C17, restored 1851 by R C Hussey for John H Galton with further alterations in 1860. Lias limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. West tower, two-bay nave with transepts and south porch, two-bay chancel. Mainly Perpendicular style. West tower: C17; three stages with strings, diagonal buttresses with off-sets at west end; 3-light west window probably original west window of nave reset when the tower was added; second stage has small rectangular lights in its north and south elevations; belfry stage has paired louvred round-headed lights in each eleva- tion; above is a pyramidal roof. Nave: C15; adjacent to the tower are opposed doorways set immediately west of low buttresses not bonded to the nave walls; this suggests that the original nave was longer; windows of nave and transepts are C15, square-headed and restored; north elevation has a 2-light window and the doorway opposing the south entrance is of a single chamfered order with a 4-centred head and is now blocked; the south elevation has a 3-light window with a similar entrance doorway. To the right of the door is a small niche once occupied by a stoup. Transepts both have a gable end 3-light pointed- arched window and a 2-light window in both side elevations; the west window of the north transept is probably a later insertion. South porch: rebuilt 1860; gabled timber-framed on sandstone base; moulded pierced and scalloped barge- boards, arch-braced roof trusses and 5-light splayed wood-mullioned openings each side. Chancel: rebuilt 1861; 3-light C19 east window with 4-centred head; north elevation has a 2-light window and south elevation has a 2-light western- most window, a rectangular light and between them a door with a 4-centred head; all is reset C15 work. Interior: pointed tower arch and north transept arch; no chancel arch but walls return on both sides to walls of wider nave; south transept has a C15 moulded timber archway, the east post stands short of the east jamb providing access to the pulpit and probably originally to provide space for the roof-loft stair. Roofs are C19 and plastered with ornamental arch-braced collar trusses. In the chancel two moulded corbels flank the east window; pointed-arched piscina with corbelled basin; C17 altar rails. The font is recut C15 work, octagonal with alternating roses and fetterlocks carved on the lower edge of the basin. Oak pews are made up of re-used C17 woodwork. C15 dug-out parish chest in south porch and also C17 dug-out parish chest in tower. Memorials: mid-C19 wall memorial in chancel to the Tookey family by P Hollins; mid-C19 brass in nave to Robert Cameron Galton formerly in Hadzor church; three ledger slabs in chancel, one to John Crump, died 1657, one very worn slab to Bridget Patrick, died 1967, and one to George Parker, a rector murdered in 1806. Glass: fragments of C15 glass in chancel east window, north window and south-east window. Although much restored this small church retains a number of C15 features of particular interest. (VCH 3 (ii) p 459-60; BoE, p 227-8).

Listing NGR: SO9144859050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
147871
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 459-60
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 227-8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06189/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sue Hubball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].