Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1084364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 07:09:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 48758 26713


KEGWORTH MARKET PLACE SK 4826-4926 11/129 Church of St Andrew 7.12.62 GV II*

Parish church. Lower part of tower is C13, remainder of church all C14 and C15 clerestory. Restored 1859-60 by Joseph Mitchell of Sheffield. Further restoration to tower and spire 1875 and 1886. Ashlar, with lead roofs. Cruciform plan with west tower, aisled nave, and contemporary vestry to north of chancel. Fine large building in Decorated style, with moulded plinth and sill strings, battlemented parapets, off-set buttresses, and large arched windows with restored reticulated tracery. Earlier west tower is of 4 stages with chamfered lancets to 2 lower stages, and C13 2-light openings with colonnette mullions to third stage. New bell-chamber added C14 with 2-light traceried openings, embattled parapet, and fine octagonal spire. Spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes. C19-C20 door with Caernarvon arch inserted into south side of tower. Nave has C15 clerestory with 6 bays of rectangular 3-light windows, all with ogee tracery. Remainder of church is in Decorated style as before, mostly with 3-light windows. Aisles are of 4 bays and have double-chamfered arched doors to north and south. South porch has wide moulded arch and 2-light traceried side windows. sbansepts each have one west window, 2 east windows, and 2 windows to north or south. 3-bay chancel with carved gargoyles and 5-light east window. North vestry is of 2 storeys, with C19 2-light traceried east window,moulded north door, and slit windows to upper storey. INTERIOR is much restored and scraped. Tower arch is C13, double-chamfered, with outer order on shafts. Lancet window above. Nave has 4-bay arcades to aisles and wider single arches to transepts, all double chamfered, the quatrefoil piers with fillets and moulded capitals and bases. Between clerestory windows are small stone corbels. C15 roof of nave is very fine, with moulded beams, richly carved foliated bosses, and C19 carved wooden corbels in the form of figures playing musical instruments. Aisle and transept roofs are C19-C20. South transept has cusped ogee piscinae in east and south walls, and a similar cusped niche in east wall. North transept has cusped piscina only in east wall. Chancel arch is double chamfered and dies into jambs. Chancel has aumbry with shelf, and much restored piscina and sedilia with cusped ogee arches and finials. Chamfered arched doorway to north vestry. C19 roof. FITTINGS: over the chancel arch is a very fine royal coat of arms dated CR 1684, carved in plaster and restored and repainted 1935. In the chancel there is also a small carved wooden shield with the royal arms, of c1500. One C15-C16 wooden chest. Octagonal stone font with traceried panels is much restored. C18 and C19 memorial tablets.

Listing NGR: SK4875826713


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16094/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].