CHURCH OF THE BEHEADING OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1087004
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE BEHEADING OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE BEHEADING OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087004.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:12:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE BEHEADING OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Doddington
National Grid Reference:
TQ 94002 57582

Details

TQ 95 NW, 4/14

DODDINGTON, CHURCH LANE (east side), Church of the Beheading of St John the Baptist

24.01.67

G.V.

I

Parish church. C12, extended south c.1200 and C15, restored 1873 to 1874 and 1907 to 1908. Flint with timber-framed and weatherboarded tower and plain tiled roofs. Nave and south aisle, chancel and south chapel, west tower and south porch. West tower on flint base, with 2 early C20 weatherboarded upper stages, battlemented, with gothick traceried lights. Buttressed south porch with plain chamfered doorway. C15 Perpendicular and C14 'Y' tracery windows in nave and aisle, with 3 lancets in south chapel south wall and 2 large eastern lancets. Chancel east wall with 3 small lancets with one over. Nave North wall with blocked north door repaired brick buttressing. Exposed tufa quoins and blocked arches in chancel north wall possibly to a lost chapel and tower. INTERIOR: at the west end of the nave, blocked chamfered west doorway, west window and part blocked rere-arch of C12 window. Three bay arcade on chamfered arches on square piers. Crown-post roofs in nave and aisle. Chancel arch with drip mould arch over on moulded square imposts with attached clustered shafts, with rings and acanthus crockets, the right hand pier with squints to chancel and south chapel. Arch from south aisle to south chapel simple chamfered arch on square imposts. Chancel with 2 bay arcade to chapel, slightly chamfered on round piers with square, moulded abaci. Round headed rere-arches to chancel east windows. C15 rere-arch to north-west window of chancel taken to floor level, blocking earlier lancet, to enclose stone reading desk and aumbry, perhaps a confessional. South chapel, the lancet reveals with drips and double moulded surrounds with attached shafts, carried on string course. South east respond brought to floor level to enclose doorway. Fittings: Chancel with round headed pisina, cusped aumbry C15 bench with half-poppy heads used as sedilia, with C15 screen to chapel or 22 lights, the end coved to form a canopy over the sedilia; C15 wooden reading desk with poppy heads. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit, C15 octagonal font with C17 wood cone cover. Box pews survive in nave and south chapel, with raised and fielded panelling. Wall paintings, in chancel on lancet responds large C13 figures. Some fragmentary C13 glass. Monuments: South chapel with medieval slabs on floor incised with Latin crosses, 1 with brass inscription to Francis Bourne, d.1615. Wall monument to George Swift, d.1732, of white marble, with grooved Doric pilasters, cornice, with enriched frieze and broken pediment clasping vase. Small black plaque on wall behind pulpit to John Adye, d.1612, with scrolled base and cornice with achievement over. (see B.O.E. Kent II, 1983. 285-6). chest tomb . Dated 1756. Stone with marble top, the chest with raised rectangular panels with chamfered corners, and rectangular vases at corners, on double plinth. Inscribed to Edward Bentham, d.1756.

Listing NGR: TQ9397857546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
176224
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 285-286

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08314/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Edward Fagg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].