This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NORTH MYMMS PARK WITH ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS AND HA HA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH MYMMS PARK WITH ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS AND HA HA

List entry Number: 1100946

Location

NORTH MYMMS PARK WITH ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS AND HA HA, TOLLGATE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Mymms

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158539

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

North Mymms TL 20 SW NORTH MYMMS TOLLGATE ROAD (south side)

11/275 North Mymms Park with adjoining garden walls 6.2.52 and ha ha

GV I

Country House. Built for Henry or Sir Ralph Coningsby about 1600, probably before 1596. Altered on courtyard side in 1846-7 by E Blore, and extended on same side in 1893-4 by Sir Ernest George and Yates. H plan with long courtyard arms. Red brick with burnt header diaper patterning. Stone dressings. Plain tile roofs. 2 storeys and attics. 7-window entrance front has gabled projecting ends and flat-parapeted porch bay, all projections with flush stone quoins. 4 and 5 light windows with 2 transoms. Restored fluted Doric columns to porch; triglyph frieze and foliate spandrels. Restored cement parapet to whole front. NE and SW elevations are each 5 windows and have 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. The NE side has a central C17 style stone Doric doorcase with fluted columns, bracketed cornice and scrolled overthrow; probably late C19. This side has 3 gabled attic dormers retaining original stone mullioned windows. SW elevation has 2 similar dormers. SE courtyard elevation is mainly 1846-7 restored brickwork and shows tall red brick stacks with Tudor style square and polygonal shafts, those of NE side with C17 bases. Main elevation has projecting outer gable ends and large central gabled oriel window, mullioned and transomed in 25 lights. Stair window to right. The side wings were built forward with corridors but show single gabled attic dormers of original build each side. The wings terminate in square angle blocks incorporating 3-storey stair turrets with copper ogee domes. Each wing has gable ends on SE elevations. The windows throughout the house are diamond leaded casements.

Large extension to SE wing of 1893-4 is 1-2 storeys. Its most important feature is a loggia with 3 arched lights. Barrel- vaulted interior with mosaic patterning. Richly carved marble frieze and arcade of Corinthian pilasters. Shallow niches. Elaborate bronze door on SE. It joins with SE courtyard walls, corner gazebos and gates. Red brick with stone banding. The gazebos have stone square domes with cupids at angles and paired Ionic pilasters at the corners. Wrought iron double gates with wrought iron railings. These connect at SE corner with a C18 garden wall which runs for about 130 metres on the NW side of the path to the church. It has at its centre a wrought iron gate in an arched opening. It joins with a semi circular 'ha ha' with red brick walling of the same date, and this connects on the SE side of the main entrance road with a C17 stretch of wall, joining near the house with the front garden walls which appear to date c.1846. They form two terraced gardens and have richly detailed wrought iron gates near the house. On the SW side of the house are three walled gardens of the C18 and C19, containing rose beds laid out by William Robinson in the late C19.

The interior of the house is mainly c.1893 in Elizabethan revival style. The entrance hall has a large French chimneypiece of 1515 with rich guilloche and fluted decoration. The SW ground floor room retains complete original panelling and chimneypiece, the latter with an inserted crest dated 1655, its surround in stone and the overmantel in two tiers of three ornamental panels. Rear central room has Jacobean style minstrels' gallery and newel staircase, and the upper front room a chimneypiece with Elizabethan fireback. (Country Life, Jan. 1934; Pevsner (1977); RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2177604267

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Country Life' in January, (1934)

National Grid Reference: TL 21776 04267

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 02:56:46.

End of official listing