This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List entry Number: 1101699

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hertford Heath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160673

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3511 LITTLE AMWELL CHURCH HILL (East side) Hertford Heath

4/67 Church of The Holy Trinity - (C of E)

GV II

Parish church. 1863 by Ewan Christian for Rev David Barclay Bevan (vicar here 1864-81), restored 1913 at cost of £220. Red brick banded with blue brick. Bath stone keystones to pointed arches and plate tracery to S transept. Steep red tile roofs with bands of scalloped tiles, swept valleys, and moulded wooden bargeboards. Square slender timber fleche over crosswing, lead clad and with square shingled spire over louvred bell chamber. Small church in Early English style, with nave, apsidal chancel, crosswing and S transept, SE vestry, and entrance by N porch. Small lancet windows with red and buff brick pointed arches in pairs to nave and singly around the apse, tall stepped triplets of lancets to W end and N gable crosswing. High wheel window to S transept. Stained glass to chancel and transept, lattice leaded clear glass with margins elsewhere. Moulded bricks drip course externally and buttresses between nave windows on line of truss. Interior has a wide pointed polychrome chancel arch on stubby E E marble columns with over large foliate stone caps. Low plaster-vaulted chancel has wooden ribs rising from a moulded wallplate. Plastered walls with polychrome inner arches of splayed windows exposed. Moulded band below window sills. Simple wooden rail on foliate ironwork at line of arch. Low stone orthostat on RH and coved corbelled stone base to octogonal oak pulpit on LH outside arch but at raised level. Lofty open timber roof of arch-braced collar construction has 2½ bays to nave and a further bay taken up by the crosswing with lower roofs coming in from each side. Heavy chamfered stone corbels in nave support wallposts and feet of moulded arch-braces. Polychrome arch of 2 chamfered orders into transept, the inner order carried on moulded corbels. Nave walls plastered with polychrome arches left exposed. Stone shaft and carved foliate capital supplies central support between each pair of lancets. Uniform pine skeleton pews with reversed Y ends. Organ in S transept dated 1864 built by T W Walker, London. Large stone font on square platform and moulded octagonal shaft and base. Heavy rounded bowl with inscribed band and circular oak cover with iron handle. Low raised platform at W end. Marble relief carved wall monument in chancel to H F Durnford d.1878, signed H F Williamson, with Figure of the Good Shepherd. Large gabled enclosed N porch in red brick with timber framed upper part forming a band of quatrefoil windows to sides and at front flanking a very large single-leaf oak door with decorative ironwork in timber gable end with pierced and cusped bargeboards. (VCH (1912)414: Kelly (1914)22: Pevsner (1977)235).

Listing NGR: TL3505711592

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 414
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 235
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 22

National Grid Reference: TL 35057 11592

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 01:56:02.

End of official listing