- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- NORMANBY HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103752 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 16:23:24.
- Statutory Address:
- NORMANBY HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- Burton upon Stather
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 88730 16534
SE 81 NE BURTON UPON STATHER NORMANBY PARK
1/22 Normanby Hall - (Previously listed as 19.10.51 Normanby Park) GV I
Country house, 1825-30 by Sir Robert Smirke for Sir Robert Sheffield, with minor internal remodelling and addition of large east wing and north service range in 1906 by Walter Brierley for Sir Berkeley Sheffield. Ancaster limestone ashlar, slate roof. Smirke's building forms entrance front. Classical style. Approximately square on plan with projecting bays and corner wings. Central section of 2 storeys with attic flanked by 2 storey projecting wings. 1:3:1 bays. Plinth, first floor band and cornice link bays. Flight of stone steps to projecting porch with pairs of Ionic columns and pit,asters supporting a plain entablature and dentilled cornice. Tall double panelled doors in architrave beneath a pulvinated frieze. Sashes in tapered eared architraves to either side. Wings have recessed tripartite windows divided by pilasters supporting a cornice, with a recessed panel above bearing floral decoration. Flat first floor band. First floor windows similar to those below. All ground and first floor windows are sashes with narrow glazing bars. Moulded cornice. 3 central 2-pane attic sashes in architraves under a further moulded cornice. Wings have parapet with central balustrade. flipped roof and stacks with moulded cornices to central section. Right return forms south garden front: central section 2 storeys with attic, 4 bays 1:2:1 with first and fourth bays projecting; 2 storey outer bays. Central tripartite openings with blind centre panel flanked by sashes and divided by pilasters supporting a moulded cornice with a recessed decorated panel above. Projecting bays have sashes in architraves with hoods supported on carved consoles. Wings have sashes in eared architraves. First floor central tripartite window has double pilasters flanking blind centre panel. Bays to either side have sashes in eared architraves. Cornice, balustrade and attic sashes similar to entrance front. The rear is similar to the front but with a central ground floor window beneath a hood supported on carved consoles. 1906 wing to the right in Classical Baroque style. L-shaped with a 5-bay south garden front and an entrance in the angle beside the C19 block. Entrance bay has double panelled doors in a Gibbs surround beneath a projecting hood and a large round-headed fanlight surmounted by a raised keystone with carved swags. Symmetrical garden front to right has plinth, rusticated quoins. Steps up to central window in eared architrave with keystone flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting an open pediment containing date and decorative carving. Sashes to either side have cills on brackets, architraves, raised keystones and hoods on carved consoles. First floor sashes linked by cill band have eared architraves and raised keystones. Ornate cast-iron down-pipes with brackets and rain-water heads bearing Sheffield monogram, arms and date. Heavy dentilled cornice and 5 attic sashes similar to those of the first floor. flipped roof, stacks with raised bands and cornices. Interior of 1820s is largely intact and includes stair-hall with a single flight and double return staircase with cast-iron fluted column balusters, sweeping mahogany handrail and panelled dado; twin east and west drawing rooms with pilasters, moulded cornices and ceilings; panelled dining room with moulded cornice and ceiling; panelled study with moulded cornice and library with moulded dado rail (part 1960s restoration) and cornice. The 4 latter rooms have fine C18 marble chimney-pieces, the one in the library inserted in 1960s, others in 1960. First floor upper hall has pair of fluted Doric columns at stair-head. Other original fittings include doors, architraves, cornices and window shutters. In 1906 Brierley opened the original entrance hall into both inner- and stair- halls and inserted enriched fluted Ionic colonnades. The 1906 wing retains its fine Classical-Baroque style interiors and inserted C18 chimney-pieces. The 1820s building is notable for the early constructional use of cast-iron beams. M H Kirkby, Normanby Hall, Scunthorpe, 196? L. W., 'Normanby Park', Country Life, 20 July 1911, pp 170-6; J Cornforth, 'Normanby Park, Lincolnshire' , Country Life, 17 August 1961, pp 346-9.
Listing NGR: SE8873016534
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Kirkby, M H , Normanby Hall Scunthorpe
'Country Life' in 17 August, (1961), 346-349
'Country Life' in 20 July, (1911), 170-176
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.