This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1104269

Location

CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, EDINBURGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Portsmouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 474585

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SU6300 EDINBURGH ROAD 774-1/8/11 (North side) 10/01/53 Cathedral Church of St John the Evangelist

II

Roman Catholic cathedral. 1877-81 by J Crawley; 1881-96 by J Hansom; 1906 by Canon Alexander Scoles; restored following bomb damage 1945-50; re-ordered 1971. Red brick in Flemish bond with Portland stone dressings; plain tile roof. Decorated style. PLAN: 6-bay nave with clerestory; 6-bay aisles, western bays canted, north aisle with apsidal chapel (1925) new baptistry; west portal and 2 bell turrets (1906); crossing with transepts (1886); chancel with apse, north and south chapels, and south porch (1893). EXTERIOR: offset plinth; strings; eaves bands; gableted buttresses with offsets rising into gableted and crocketed finials; traceried windows, mostly of 2-lights with 3-light windows to clerestory and some spherical triangle windows, all having hoodmoulds and sill strings (tracery of all but south transept window restored 1945-50); board doors with decorative iron hinges in pointed-arched surrounds of several orders with carved tympana; brick parapet to nave, pierced ashlar parapet to chancel, similar blind parapet to baptistry; cross finials. West end: portal has elaborate central door in projecting gableted surround flanked by 3-light windows: a door to each return; nave has tripled 2-light windows, stepped spherical triangle over, flanked by octagonal bell towers with slit windows, louvred belfry openings, spires, and metal finials. South transept has a blind arcade below round window with spherical triangle to gable. 5-light window to north transept. Decorative metal gate in front of chancel south door. INTERIOR: pointed arched arcades and openings having clustered columns with decorative leafy capitals. Vaulted wooden ceilings with moulded ribs, pierced bands, and cusped trusses; plainer roofs to aisles. Good quality fittings include marble altar and reredos to Lady Chapel, tessellated chapel floors and free standing stations of the cross. (Balfour A: Portsmouth: Highgate Hill, N19: 1970-: 57, 58; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 129, 130; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1973-: 431, 432; Hubbuck R: Portsmouth: 1969-1976: 21; Offord J: Church, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island:



Southsea: 1989-: 102, 103, 104).



Listing NGR: SU6610802158

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 57,58
Hubbuck, R, Portsmouth, (1969-1976), 21
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 129,130
Offord, J , Churches Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island, (1989), 102-104
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1973), 431,432

National Grid Reference: SU 63923 00478

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104269 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 05:07:50.

End of official listing