CHURCH HOUSE COTTAGES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH HOUSE COTTAGES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105374 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 10:51:00.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH HOUSE COTTAGES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 53710 70177
SX 57 SW
13/127 Church House Cottages (formerly
listed as Church House)
2 cottages, originally the church house. Circa early C16, modified in 1698, altered in late C19 and restored in later C20. Stone rubble walls, partly rendered and colour-washed. Gable ended asbestos slate roof. 3 rendered stacks, one at each gable end and one lateral. Plan: Interesting variation on church house plan which can be reconstructed despite the conversion into 2 cottages. On the ground floor it comprised a large room at either end with a small room in between, in front of which was an entrance lobby by which each room was reached and from which a straight flight of stairs in a projection at the front of the building was also approached. The purpose of each room can be deduced from their features: the left-hand room, judging from its very large gable end fireplace with ovens was where the baking took place. The small central room with only one small window and what appears to have been a serving hatch into the right-hand room, is likely to have stored the ales which were then served into the right-hand room where presumably the customers congregated and could leave by a back door. This room had a fireplace in its gable end wall and there is also a small fireplace on its front wall which may be later. The first floor consisted of one large room used for meetings and probably celebrations; the external stairs to its doorway in the right-hand gable end have been removed How much this arrangement relates to the date plaque of 1698 - presumably refering to a re-modelling can only be conjectured, possibly the large hearth was added to the kitchen at this stage. Subsequently the building became an inn. In 1895 the building ceased to be an inn and soon after it was divided into 2 cottages. Exterior: 2 storeys. Original entrance front faces churchyard and is asymmetrical with 4 windows and a shallow rectangular stair projection to left of centre. C20 1 and 2-light casements. The stair projection has a chamfered granite framed light. To the right of the projection is the original granite 4-centred arched doorway with roll moulding and recessed spandrels. Above is a date-stone of 1698 with the initials R.S.J.W. Beneath the eaves a chamfered stone cornice extends along the house. At the right gable end are four 2-light granite mullion windows hollow- chamfered with segmental heads in rebate frame. At the centre is a granite 4-centre arched doorway. This odd feature - evidently giving access to the principal 1st floor room - is explained in a print of the Church House in 1805 by Samuel Prout. It depicts this gable end with a lean-to roof set against it, supported on an octagonal pillar, below which where the steps leading to the 1st floor doorway. The print also shows a stone arched doorway leading into the churchyard and the mounting steps on the front wall which still survive. This set-up still existed in 1867 although the "window-places" were blocked in 1842. They and the doorway were uncovered in the early 1980's. The present entrance front has C20 stone porches to left and right of centre with C20 irregularly placed casements. Between the porches is a single granite framed light to the central room. The stone cornice also extends around this side. At the right end is a lower outbuilding reputedly a stable. Good interior preserving many early features. The original window openings are marked internally by stone arches above. On the ground floor are heavy cross-beams, chamfered and resting on curved stone corbels. The kitchen has a very large fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel and jambs of dressed granite. 2 stone ovens. To the right of the fireplace in the end wall is a wide blocked doorway with granite arch above. The entrance lobby at the centre has 3 granite doorways opening off it - one with a pointed arch to the kitchen and 2 with segmental heads to the stairs and the small store room. The stairs are a straight flight of granite with a corbelled and stepped stone with a similar doorway at the top. In the store room a small blocked granite-framed opening is visible in the right-hand wall which can also be seen on the other side and was probably a serving hatch. The right-hand room has a fireplace with chamfered granite jambs and a replaced lintel. It also has a much smaller reconstructed fireplace on its long wall. Built into the partition wall of this room is a large carved stone face probably a gargoyle from the church. The original stone arched head to the rear doorway of this room survives. The original roof is still in situ and complete, consisting of principals with curved feet, threaded purlins cut out to become trenched and cranked collars notched and set into the trusses. This building must be one of the most complete church houses in Devon with not only numerous early features but also its plan-form still preserved and forming a good group with the Church (q.v). Source: Walkhampton - The story of a Parish: L. Govier
Listing NGR: SX5371070177
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Govier, L, Walkhampton The Story of a Parish
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.