KINGSTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1108525
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
KINGSTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINGSTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108525 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 01:49:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
KINGSTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Staverton
National Grid Reference:
SX 79471 65460

Details

SX 76 NE STAVERTON

2/85 Kingston House

11.11.52

GV II*

Country house. 1743 date on rainwater head. Built for John Rowe after a fire . Coursed stone rubble with freestone dressings. Slate hipped roof of two spans and with unusual slate- roofed capping over the parapet all round. Heavy moulded stone cornice. Plain stone bands at floor level and moulded plinth. Rectangular on plan. Three storeys and basement. East front 2:3:2 bays, centre projects. Sash windows with thick glazing bars some restored and others still blocked. Flat stone window arches and plain cills. Central pilastered stone doorway with Doric entablature and fielded panel double doors approached from C20 wooden steps. West front also 2:3:2 bays, sashes intact, all but centre one blocked on second floor. Central glazed and panelled door, blind wooden false fanlight and stone brackets to hood which is missing. South front bays complete range of sashes with thick glazing bars, central doorway with early C19 panelled door and rectangular fanlight with glazing bars. Good rainwater head with angel and date 1743. North front five bays complete with sashes with thick glazing bars. Central doorway with moulded brick arched hood and fielded panel door, now enclosed in C19 stone porch. Similar rainwater head. Probably reused from an earlier house on the site a large round- arched ovolo moulded sandstone doorway to cellars. Large red brick double chimney stacks with arch linking the flues and with stone cornices. Interior: Drawing room has bolection panelling, pilasters and niches flanking marble chimneypiece, moulded cornice and moulded plaster ceiling depicting a dove holding a sprig within a sunburst. Another small ground floor room has fielded panelling, bolection chimneypiece and moulded plaster ceiling with high relief branches within an oval. Hall partly panelled. Very fine inlaid wooden staircase with three balusters per tread. Panelled landing with moulded cornice. Panelled first floor room with good moulded plaster cornice. Small room off has C18 wall paintings depicting landscape with birds and animals. Passage off has similar wall painting. First floor east room has a small marble chimneypiece with moulded plaster overmantle depicting the Flight from Egypt and a pediment with two large putti. Another small first floor room has C17 panelling with circa C18 painted marbling or graining. Vaulted stone cellars. The Rowes were a Catholic family and there was once a private chapel.

Listing NGR: SX7947165460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100631
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/14865/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].