This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1109774



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Outseats

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81224

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


North Lees Hall is thought to have inspired Charlotte Bronte (1816-55) in the summer of 1845 when she was staying with her friend Ellen Nussey at the vicarage in Hathersage, providing the model for  Mr Rochester’s Thornfield Hall in her first and most famous novel Jane Eyre (1847).


SK 28 SW PARISH OF OUTSEATS 2/78 29.9.51 North Lees Hall GV II*

Tower house with lower attached domestic range. Late C16, with some C19 refashioning, and restored in 1965. Coursed rubble gritstone, rising from a chamfered plinth, with quoins, embattled ashlar parapet with moulded merlons and formerly with a lead roof, now with an asphalt covering. Tower house incorporates a taller stair tower to north east corner, to which is attached a domestic two storey range to the north east. Tower House, south east elevation; three storeys and parapet above basement. Stacked 6-light recessed hollow chamfer mullioned and transomed windows, the one to the first floor beneath a hoodmould with stops, those to the ground and second floors beneath continuous dripmoulds. C20 casements, those to ground floor openings with diamond leaded lights to upper parts. Taller stair tower projects slightly to rear of main tower with single lights within chamfered surrounds to light staircase half-landings, North west elevation; projecting stack carried on corbels at height of first floor window heads, and a wide doorway to ground floor with deep chamfers to jambs and lintel. South west elevation has four 4-light hollow chamfer mullioned openings to north west end, and three 3-light hollow chamfer mullioned and transomed windows to south east, indicating a change in floor levels in the rear part of the tower. Full height stack projects between windows, now truncated at parapet level, but with base for diagonal stone chimneys. Domestic range adjoins the stair tower, and is possibly a later and lower rebuilding of an earlier range. Stone slated roof with intermediate and end stacks, and coped gables with moulded kneelers, Two storeys, three bays with advanced gabled range off-centre, to north east of doorway, which has a moulded surround with a plain planked door. , 3-light chamfer mullioned windows above doorways with casements. Former C19 3-light mullioned and transomed window to gabled range, now with lower part replaced by C20 joinery. C20 casement to opening with heavy lintel to north east end. Interior; the tower is served by an oak newel stair, and has moulded stone doorcases leading into the principal rooms, The ground and first floor rooms have moulded plaster ceilings which, together with the rest of the interior, were extensively restored in 1965, The ground floor plaster work is dated 1594, with a moulded frieze and a moulded soffit to the main spine beam, The first floor plaster work is more elaborate, with moulded ceiling panels, as well as a frieze, and spine beam soffit. Both ground and first floor rooms have moulded stone surrounds to the hearths and Tudor arched head, and carved chamfer stops to the jambs.

Listing NGR: SK2353483443

This listing was enhanced in 2016 to mark the bicentenary of Charlotte Bronte’s birth.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK2353483443


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2018 at 01:10:42.

End of official listing