CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1111097

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 20:14:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Goldhanger

National Grid Reference: TL 90514 08842

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 90 NW GOLDHANGER CHURCH STREET (east side)

7/7 Church of St Peter

30.12.59

GV I

the description shall be amended to read:

Parish Church. C11 chancel and nave. C14 south aisle rebuilt and probably also west tower and west end of church rebuilt. Late C15 south chapel. South porch in existence in 1780. C19 and C20 restorations, including rebuilding of south arcade and chancel arch. Built of flint rubble, septaria and puddingstone. Limestone, Roman tile and brick dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel and south chapel east walls each gabled and with angle buttresses. Roman brick and tiled north quoin. C19/C20 2 light window with 2 centred head to chancel. C12 round head window with jambs and arch of Roman brick to north wall. C19/C20 3 light window with segmental pointed head to east and south walls of south chapel. Nave north wall has 2 C19/C20 2 light windows with tracery under square heads. C16 moulded labels representing the 4 winged beasts of the Revelation, the lion, the calf the human face and the flying eagle. Between these windows is a C12 window similar to that in chancel wall. East quoins of Roman brick and tile. A flint and rubble buttress adjacent to west. Two centred arch to north doorway, possibly C12 origin but much restored. Nailed vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. South aisle has a C19/C20 2 light window with 2 centred head and tracery to right and left of the C19 south porch. The porch has stepped buttresses to south angles and moulded 2 centred arch with label and foliate stops. Full length stone bench on brackets to east wall; similar but broken seat to west wall. Moulded roof rafters. South doorway restored C14 with stop moulded jambs and 2 centred arch with moulded label. Nailed vertically boarded door with ornate straps and hinges. Probable C14 crenellated west tower, 10 feet square, of 3 stages, with 3 bands and buttresses to angles. Stair turret to north east wall with one slit light. West doorway with moulded jambs, 2 centred arch and label, nailed vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. West window of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery and label, this much worn. One small trefoiled light to second stage north, west and south faces. Each wall of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinquefoil headed lights under a square head with label. Vertically boarded sounding louvres with trefoils. Diapered flint flushwork panel over west window and flint decoration above first stage band. Crenellated heads to rainwater pipes, some inscribed CBL 1853. Interior has ceiled 7 cant roof to chancel. C19 patterned coloured tile floor. Panelled and painted reredos. C15 4 centred arch of 2 moulded orders to south wall. Piscina possibly C13 with chamfered jambs, 2 centred head and foliate drain. Carving, possibly C14, to west of arch of a man, angel and ivy leaves. South chapel has ceiled 7 cant roof with 2 stop chamfered tie beams. Panelled altar and reredos. C19/C20 altar rails. Piscina C15 with moulded jambs, ogee head, octagonal drain. Altar tomb c1531 to Thomas Heighaiu, Alys, Awdrie and Francis, his wives. Purbeck marble, sides of 4 sunk and cusped panels with carved spandrels and central shields, that to east halved. Top slab with moulded edge and brass figure of woman in pedimental head-dress. Indents of a man in armour, 2 other wives and 4 shields. Later brass insertion to Anthony Heyham 1540 and his wife Anne with 2 shields inserted in earlier indents, tomb either rebuilt or made up from another monument. Wood carving C20 "Hands" by H Crawshay Frost. Nave has C19/C20 south arcade of 3 bays, moulded capitals and bases, octagonal columns and 2 centred arches. Roof of 1310-1350 of 3 bays with moulded wall plates, curved braces to stop chamfered tie beams resting on head corbels of C14 date. Traceried spandrels. Four armed crown posts. C19 octagonal carved pulpit with traceried circles to each panel. C19 stone octagonal font. Moulded bases and shafts. Foliate carvings between trefoiled heads. Two centred tower arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, half round shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Stair turret doorway with a 2 centred head. Door in second stage possibly C15 of battens with strap hinges. RCHM 2. [Pevsner BOE Essex revised 1965 p188. Cecil A Hewett 'English Historic Carpentry' 1980 p149 and 310.]

------------------------------------

TL 90 NW GOLDHANGER CHURCH STREET (east side)

7/7 Church of St. Peter 30.I2.59 GV I

Parish Church. C12 Chancel and Nave. C14 south aisle rebuilt. C15 west tower and west end of church rebuilt. Late C15 south chapel. C19 south porch, C19 and C20 restorations including rebuilding of south arcade and Chancel arch. Built of flint rubble, septaria and puddingstone. Limestone, Roman tile and brick dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel and south chapel east walls each gabled and with angle buttresses. Roman brick and tiled north quoin. C19/C20 2 light window with 2 centred head to Chancel. C12 round head window with jambs and arch of Roman brick to north wall. C19/C20 3 light window with segmental pointed head to east and south walls of south chapel. Nave north wall has 2 Cl9/C20 2 light windows with tracery under square heads, moulded labels with bird, gargoyle, angel and winged lion stops. Between these windows is a C12 window similar to that in Chancel wall. East quoins of Roman brick and tile. A flint and rubble buttress adjacent to west. 2 centred arch to north doorway, possibly C12 origin but much restored. Nailed vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. South aisle has a C19/C20 2 light window with 2 centred head and tracery to right and left of the C19 south porch. The porch with stepped buttresses to south angles and moulded 2 centred arch with label and foliate stops. Full length stone bench on brackets to east wall similar but broken seat to west wall. Moulded roof rafters. South doorway restored C14 with stop moulded jambs and 2 centred arch with moulded label. Nailed vertically boarded door with ornate straps and hinges. C15 10ft. square crenellated west tower of 3 stages, with 3 bands and buttresses to angles. Stair turret to north east wall with one slit light. West doorway with moulded jambs, 2 centred arch and label, nailed vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. West window of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery and label, this much worn. One small trefoiled light to second stage north, west and south faces. Each wall of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinquefoil lights under a square head with label. Vertically boarded sounding louvres with trefoils. Diapered flint flushwork panel over west window and flint decoration above first stage band. Crenellated heads to rainwater pipes, some inscribed CBL 1853. Interior. Chancel. Ceiled 7 cant roof. C19 patterned coloured tile floor. Panelled and painted reredos. C15 4 centred arch of 2 moulded orders to south wall. Piscina possibly C13 with chamfered jambs, 2 centred head and foliate drain. Carving, possibly C14, to west of arch of a man, angel and ivy leaves. South chapel. Ceiled 7 cant roof, 2 stop chamfered tie beams. Panelled altar and reredos. C19/C20 altar rails. Piscina C15 with moulded jambs, ogee head, octagonal drain. Altar tomb circa 1531 to Thomas Heigham, Alys, Awdrie and Francis, his wives. Purbeck marble, sides of 4 sunk and cusped panels with carved spandrels and central shields, that to east halved. Top slab with moulded edge and brass figure of a woman in pedimental head-dress. Indents of a man in armour, 2 other wives and 4 shields. Later brass insertion to Anthony Heyham 1540 and his wife Anne with 2 shields inserted in earlier indents, tomb either rebuilt or made up from another monument. Wood carving C20 "Hands" by H. Crawshay Frost. Nave. C19/C20 south arcade of 3 bays, moulded capitals and bases,octagonal colomnes 2 centred arches. C15 roof of 3 bays with moulded wall plates, curved braces to stop chamfered tie beams resting on head corbels. Traceried spandrels. 4 armed crown posts. C19 octagonal carved pulpit with traceried circles to each panel. C19 stone octagonal font. Moulded base and shafts. Foliate carvings between trefoiled heads. 2 centred Tower arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, half round shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Stair turret doorway with a 2 centred head. Door in second stage possibly C15 of battens with strap hinges. RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TL9051408842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118861

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , English Historic Carpentry, (1980), 149, 310
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1965), 188

End of official listing