CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112610

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112610 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 22:00:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Paglesham

National Grid Reference: TQ 92605 93059

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PAGLESHAM CHURCH END TQ 99 SW 7/158 Church of St. Peter 27.7.59 GV II* Parish Church. Mainly C15 with some C12 work in chancel and nave. C16 west tower. Circa 1883 restorations. C19 south porch and north vestry. Stone, flint and septaria, some Roman brick. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel. C15 east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, 2-centred head and label. 2 small C18 round headed windows to north wall. South wall C16 eastern single light square headed window, western restored C16 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, square head and label. Between the windows a possibly C16 doorway sunk chamfered jambs and round head. Nave, south wall, end and central buttresses, C19 eastern window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, moulded surround, square head and label with headstops, central C19 2 cinquefoiled lights, pointed segmental head, moulded surround and label with head stops. Western window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, square head and label with head stops, carved flowers to surround and head. South porch buttressed at angles, moulded 2-centred arch, moulded label. Small windows to side walls, trefoiled 2-centred arches, square heads and labels. C15/C16 south door, moulded jambs, 2-centred head, moulded label. C15/C16 nailed and moulded battens to door, moulded muntins, 2 strap hinges and lock plate. Porch interior, of 2 bays, cambered tie beam supported by arched braces on corbels, stop chamfered joists, ridge board. Side seats. Nave, north wall buttressed at eastern angle. Eastern small round headed window, western window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, square head and label. North vestry, gabled to north, east and 2 north wall windows of trefoiled lights, square heads and labels. Small 2-centred window to gable apex. West tower of 3 stages. Crenellated. Buttresses to north west, south west and south east angles. Stair turret to north east rising above the parapet and with 3 slit lights to east and 2 to west faces. Bands below crenellations, bell chamber and second stage. All faces of bell chamber with 2 cinquefoiled lights under square heads, labels over. Each face of second stage has a single trefoiled light under a square head and label. West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, moulded 2 centred head, traces of moulded label. Band below window. West doorway, moulded jambs and 2-centred head and label, much worn. C15 nailed plank and muntin door, strap hinges. Interior. Chancel. C19 double side purlin roof, ridge board, moulded wall plates. C19 stained glass to windows. Square red brick Sanctuary floor. C19 wrought iron and wood altar rails. Eight C17 and C18 headstones from the churchyard now set in the chancel floor. Floor slab to John Nassu, December 18th 1807. Carved fronts to choir stalls. Cushion capital with ring under, on C20 circular column, used as Piscina. Hatchment to north wall. Simple 2-centred chancel arch. Hatchment over chancel arch. Nave:- C19/C20 roof of 4 bays with end and central hammerbeams supported by corbel stones. Double side purlin roof, ridge board and king posts, all joists stop chamfered. Eight C18 and C19 head stones from churchyard set in floor. C20 octagonal pulpit with sounding board over. Piscina to south wall, cinquefoiled 2-centred head. There is a rim band of a bell dated 1598 on the south window cill. Niche to east of north wall. Segmental head to north doorway. Donation board over relating to the bequest to 6 poor families given by John Nassu 1807. Chest, moulded rim to lid, carved panel to base of back. C19 octagonal font. Tower arch. 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner resting on semi-octagonal jambs with moulded capitals and bases. Stair turret doorway moulded 2-centred arch. C15, door nailed boards, 2 strap hinges. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ9260593059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 123161

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

End of official listing