STEAM LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113023

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-2003

Statutory Address: STEAM LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT, CAMLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STEAM LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 02:41:09.

Location

Statutory Address: STEAM LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT, CAMLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29899 83551

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



798-1/84/587 CAMLEY STREET 11-JUN-03 Steam Locomotive Water Point (Formerly listed as: GOODS WAY LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT NORTH OF ST PAN ST PANCRAS STATION) (Formerly listed as: EUSTON ROAD WATER POINT NORTH OF ST PANCRAS)

II Steam Locomotive Water Point. C.1870, probably by the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott, for the Midland Railway. EXTERIOR: red brick with yellow stone dressings, iron water tank within. Rectangular structure in three tiers. Lower tier with arched doors to sides, with radiating voussoirs above; moulded stone plinth bands and string course. Middle tier with seven bay arcades to long sides, with stone capitals to pilasters and alternate brick and stone voussoirs. Corbel table above. Upper tier entirely of brick, with blind arcade with round-headed arches. HISTORY: this formerly served Midland Railway steam locomotives departing from St Pancras Station. The structure was in place by 1872, when the 'Quarterly Review' criticised the inappropriate use of Gothic for a functional structure of this sort. It was one of a pair of structures, the other (long demolished) housing hydraulic lifting gear used to raise beer barrels from the station undercroft. Redundant following the disappearance of steam from main line use in the early 1960s, it was first listed in 1974. The construction of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link necessitated the relocation of the structure to its present location on Camley Street. This was undertaken in November 2001, with funding assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, when the structure was removed in three parts and re-erected 700 m. north of its old location. The Morton Partnership Ltd were the consulting engineers responsible. It is an exceptionally architectural example of a water point, and related historically and stylistically with the great terminus of St Pancras. SOURCE: report by Pre-Construct Archaeology, 'A Survey of Historic Pipe-work at the Waterpoint, St Pancras (2001). Listing NGR: TQ2989983551

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477350

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pre-Construct Archaeology, , A Survey of Historic Pipe-work at the Waterpoint, St Pancras, (2001)

End of official listing