RODWAY HILL MANOR (EAST AND WEST WING)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1116174
Date first listed:
11-May-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Oct-1981
Statutory Address:
RODWAY HILL MANOR (EAST AND WEST WING), MANOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RODWAY HILL MANOR (EAST AND WEST WING)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 14:13:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
RODWAY HILL MANOR (EAST AND WEST WING), MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mangotsfield Rural
National Grid Reference:
ST 66346 75828

Details

In the entry for

2/88 MANGOTSFIELD RURAL MANOR ROAD Rodway Hill and Rodway Manor (formerly listed as Rodway Hill House under Rodway Hill)

The address shall be amended to read

MANOR ROAD Rodway Hill Manor (East Wing and West Wing) (formerly listed as Rodway Hill House under Rodway Hill)

------------------------------------ 1. 5118 MANGOTSFIELD RURAL MANOR ROAD Rodway Hill and Rodway Manor (formerly listed as Rodway Hill House under Rodway Hill ST 67 NE 2/88 11.5.53. II* 2. Mediaeval origins, largely rebuilt circa 1520 by Sir Thomas Berkeley. Altered again after purchase in 1663 by John Meredith. Later additions, alterations and some restorations. Pennant stone rubble, freestone dressings, double-saddle modern pantile roof with coped verges, square brick stacks with moulded stone caps set diagonally in groups of 2 and 3. Three storeys, south elevation has 3 windows, 3-light leaded casement window, moulded stone mullions, 4 centred sub-arches under square heads wth rectangular dripmoulds; heraldic beast label stops to the 2 left hand windows. Restored gabled porch to right with chamfered 4-centre arch opening, painted cast-iron heraldic achievement on porch gable face. Two stair windows of 2-lights to left of porch. Probably later 3 storey one bay projecting wing to right with similar, (possibly Victorian 'restored') 4-centred arch casements, this wing 2 ranges of blocked moulded single-light windows. Two storey wing to extreme left with curved and ramped stone coping, one 2-light 4-centred arch casement to each floor, oval window to ground floor left. Some windows restored, some retain iron stauchions and saddle-bars. A number of Victorian sash windows with brick cambered head to rear which has a moulded Tudor arch doorway under square head with rectangular dripmould. Second door to right with Tudor arch surround. To left a range of Tudor arch moulded head windows (with drip on ground floor and shields and label stops). Interior: East ground floor room has double exit to south (for stairs and hall) with double ogee flat head surround, outer moulding double stopped, inner one dies on corner; east door has double ogee surround with urn and relief stop; plaster devises in fireplace wall; double stop chamfered beams. Very good dog leg staircase with turned baluster, relief carved strings, cut pendants and carved newels. Rich fireplace in south-east room said to have been moved here from elsewhere: strapwork, Ionic columns above mantel, male and female figures bearing corn-dollies (probably circa 1600), arms of Meredith and Basset appear to be an insertion, centre part of overmantel removed. On first floor, 2 doorways from stairs, one with double-ogee moulding, right hand one ogee with carved stops, battened Tudor arch door. First floor east room has Tudor arch fireplace. First floor room to centre has carved overdoor panel. East crosswing attic has arch braced collars to trusses. Second floor of centre portion has 2 moulded door surrounds, one with cambered head. Also said to contain a fine newel stair.

Listing NGR: ST6634675828

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
28755
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].