This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1116376

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MARY, GREEN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wibtoft

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jun-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308892

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIBTOFT GREEN LANE SP48NE (East side) 5/26 Chapel of St. Mary 06/10/60 (Formerly listed as Church of St. John) - II

Small church. Dated 1634, but with mediaeval origins and remains. Rebuilt early/mid C19. Coursed squared and rubble limestone west and south walls, with stone plinth throughout, largely rebuilt in English bond brick. Plain-tile roofs. One-bay chancel, 2-bay nave. Chancel has 2 low east buttresses. Painted wood lead-latticed windows throughout. 3-light Tudor-arched east window has simple tracery. Gable has moulded datestone. Nave windows have Y-tracery and metal casements with irregular brick surrounds. West front has chamfered arch doorway with brick jambs. Old studded plank door. Simple timber bellcote, probably of 1889, has pyramidal roof. Simple interior is plastered. Chancel has boarded roof. Simple plaster chamfered segmental chancel arch. Queen strut nave roof. Octagonal stone font, chamfered to square base, has blind quatrefoils to alternate sides. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.258; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.472).

Listing NGR: SP4798887637

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 258
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 472

National Grid Reference: SP 47988 87637

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:59:08.

End of official listing