Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117400.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:19:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wokingham (Unitary Authority)
St. Nicholas, Hurst
National Grid Reference:
SU 79486 72972


SU 77SE, 5/13

ST NICHOLAS HURST, CHURCH HILL (north side), Church Of St. Nicholas




Parish Church. Early C13, rebuilt externally C19 by W. Fellows Prynne. Mainly flint with stone dressings, tile roof. Consists of chancel, north and south chapels, nave, aisles, south porch and west tower. The tower of 1612, brick, has 3 stages moulded stone strings, battlemented parapet and central cupola with ogee roof and wrought iron weather vane. Chancel restored and refurbished 1903, roof original, restored, the beam above rood screen supports four panels of carved wood tracery Nave, restored 1876, has a 3 bay transitional north arcade, centre pier of 2 diameters, the lower and larger has a scalloped top, the upper a plain cap. Other piers have scalloped caps. Nave roof has collar purlin with arch braces and moulded crown posts. Roof to both aisles similar, restored. North aisle has 3 Early English lancet windows in rebuilt walling. South aisle mainly C19. Across the chancel opening and the aisles, a C17 carved screen including to lower part arms of James I. Pulpit also early C17 and adjoining is a wrought iron hour glass holder dated 1636. The font is late Decorated with panelled octagonal bowl, ogee tracery, small corner shafts each supporting an angel under angle on base of clustered shafts standing on 2 stone steps.

MONUMENTS North wall of Chancel:- An elaborate wall monument to Henry Barker of Hurst died 1651. South wall of Chancel:- A large marble oval panel to Robert Palmer died 1757. North wall of North Chapel:- A tall panelled plinth to Lady Margaret Savile died 1631, widow of Sir Henry Savile, Provost of Eton, founder of the Savilion professorships at Oxford. A brass to Alice died 1600, daughter of Richard Ward, wife of Thomas Harrison. Below a brass to Richard Kippax died 1625, one time examiner in the Starr Chamber. South wall of North Chapel:- Large wall monument to Sir Richard and Lady Harrison, 1683. The altar of the chapel is flanked by good C17 and Cl8 tablets and cartouches.Set in the floor are six C17 tombstones. At the west end of the north aisle is an altar tomb with black marble top to Richard Bigg of Haineshill died 1677.

Listing NGR: SU7948672976


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04037/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Noel Hannan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].