HOOKE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119415

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: HOOKE COURT, HIGHER STREET LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOOKE COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 05:44:56.

Location

Statutory Address: HOOKE COURT, HIGHER STREET LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Hooke

National Grid Reference: ST 53109 00421

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 50 SW HOOKE HIGHER STREET LANE

2/129 Hooke Court 12.6.53. GV II*

Country House in grounds, now St Francis School. Early and later C17 south range, with rebuilding after Civil War fire. C15 east range demolished 1965. North block, C18 addition to main range, but with C19 refenestration. Coursed rubble-stone walls on a chamfered plinth, divided by strings and C19 parapet. Relieving arches over windows. Slate roofs with stone gable- coping at left hand, and hipped at right hand. Stone stacks at left hand gable, ridge centre and right hand end wall. Three storeys. 5 windows to main west elevation, 3-light stone-mullion windows, with 4-centred heads, regularly spaced iron casements with single glass panes. Top storey windows have square heads; one blocking with segmental head, right of centre. 2 small blocked single lights. Porch at centre, later C19 (probably 1873), ashlar diagonally-buttressed, colonettes with capitals rising from set-off. Panelled parapet with arms of Paulet at centre. 4-centred entrance arch in square head, high label over. 2-leaf door with recess panels, C19. South end wall, canted bay, 2 storeys, doorway with keystone inscribed S 1873; one and two-light windows. Rear of main block ashlar 6 windows with canted by at north end, 2-light cross-transomed (ovolos), C20 metal casements without glazing-bars. No plinth. C15 east wing, all that survives is 4 metres of plinth moulding from main block, roll and hollow chamfer under. North addition to main block, C18, much altered C19. 2 storeys with pitched parapet at left hand, 3 windows, 2-light transomed windows with 4-centred heads, canted bay at centre ground with moulded cornice and parapet. Lower single-storey service range is included. Interior: Fireplace in present staff room, late C15, brought in. Stone with moulded jambs running into square head. Lintel block in one. Three large quatrefoils in squares, left hand: patera; centre: arms of Paulet; right, paterae. Roof construction of main range: king-post with diagonal strutting and with iron braces, C19.

(RCHM Dorset IS, p126(2))

Listing NGR: ST5310900421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105454

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 126

End of official listing