QUAY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119687

Date first listed: 12-May-1997

Statutory Address: QUAY WALL, ST GEORGES QUAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUAY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 10:03:21.

Location

Statutory Address: QUAY WALL, ST GEORGES QUAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 47448 62209

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 4762 LANCASTER ST GEORGE'S QUAY

1685-1/3/10000 Quay Wall

GV II

Quay wall. 1750-55, partially rebuilt in 1806. Built for The Lancaster Port Commission. Massive coursed squared Lancaster sandstone, With deep bull-nosed coping course at footway level. The battered wall defines the frontage of St George's Quay on the south-west bank of the River Lune, and is approx. 400 metres long, extending south-east from an inset 40 metres east of Carlisle (railway) Bridge, to a raised abutment adjacent to the railway viaduct at the junction ofSt George's Quay and Lune Square. At the south-east end, the quay wall incorporates 2 steeply ramped slipways with setted surfaces. This part of the wall has raised parapet walls with rounded copings. HISTORY: the Lancaster Port Commission was established in 1750 to take advantage of favourable trading conditions in the Baltic and the West Indies. The Commission established the port and associated facilities, and sought to improve navigation on the River Lune. The construction of the Quay Wall represented an essential first step in the development of port facilities at Lancaster. It stands close to the frontage range of C18 and C19 warehouses and the Customs House, all of which were built following the establishment of the quay, and with which the Quay Wall has strong group value.



Listing NGR: SD4744762208

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469184

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing