Dovecote, 45 metres south of Gainford Hall
List Entry Summary
Name: Dovecote, 45 metres south of Gainford Hall
List entry Number: 1121116
Dovecote 45 metres south of Gainford Hall, Low Road
The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: County Durham
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jan-2017
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
List entry Description
Summary of Building
Dovecote, C17 or earlier.
Reasons for Designation
The dovecote south of Gainford Hall, of at least C17 date, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Date: as an early, specialised and high status structure for the breeding and keeping of doves, which continues the traditions of those built in the medieval period; * Architectural interest: it is an attractive tall and tapering stone structure of three stages defined by projecting stone bands with a domed roof and central oculus; * Degree of survival: although it no longer retains its central revolving ladder, it is otherwise intact and retains the key distinguishing features of early dovecotes including the original low entrance and a complete set of internal nest boxes and ledges; * Group value: it benefits from a spatial and functional group value with the adjacent Gainford Hall (Grade I), to which it provided highly prized meat.
Dovecotes (or pigeon houses) were built from the Middle Ages to the C19 to supply tender and highly prized meat from spring to autumn (with pigeon manure a valuable by-product), and were marks of considerable status. Whether square, multi-angular, or circular, dovecotes were typically of two storeys with internal nesting holes for the birds and a central revolving ladder (or potence) to give access to them. Most frequently these are found in home farm complexes although sometimes they fulfilled a decorative function too by being carefully placed in polite landscapes.
This dovecote is thought to be of at least early-C17 date and associated with the adjacent Gainford Hall constructed in 1600-1603. The structure is depicted on the first edition 1:10560 Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1855 and is annotated 'Pigeon Cote'. The footprint is unchanged down to the present day.
Dovecote, C17 or earlier.
MATERIALS: coursed sandstone rubble with roughly-dressed sandstone interior.
PLAN: circular, 5.6m in diameter.
DESCRIPTION: a tapering, slightly-convex structure, standing about 6 metres high, with three stages defined by projecting stone bands. There is a low, square-headed entrance low down in the NE side, with a chamfered lintel and alternating jambs; it retains a wide-boarded and studded plank door. The interior is filled with stone nesting boxes and alighting ledges. The roof is domed with an irregular, central oculus.
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: County Durham, (1983), 278
Pastscape Entry, accessed 18-10-2016 from http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=21692&sort=2&rational=m&recordsperpage=10&maplat=54.54700000&maplong=-1.73740000&mapisa=1000&mapist=ll&mapilo=-1.7374&mapila=54.5470&mapiloe=w&mapilan=n&mapios=NZ169169&mapigrn=516906&mapigre=416985&mapipc=&p=1&move=n&nor=25&recfc=0#aRt
National Grid Reference: NZ1683416819
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121116 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 06:35:58.
End of official listing