FREWIN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1122646

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Statutory Address: FREWIN HALL, NEW INN HALL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FREWIN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122646 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 14:33:32.

Location

Statutory Address: FREWIN HALL, NEW INN HALL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SP5119806270

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1485 SP 5106 SW 8/278 12.1.54

NEW INN HALL STREET (East Side) Frewin Hall II*

2. RCHM 124. House, West gateway and East doorway, (1) The C16 West gateway (of St Mary's College), leading from the street, has an outer archway with a 4-centred arch and on the South, the springings of the vaulting of the C15 gate-hall. The North wall has the remains of a blocked window. Next to the gate-hall, and on the South and further to the East, is a 2-storeyed rubble outbuilding which may be C17. (2) The C17 East doorway (at the West end of Frewin Court and approached from Cornmarket Street) has been reset; in it is a panelled wood door with a wicket and an elliptical head with the date 1666 in the spandrels. (3) The house consists of an L-shaped block with (a) West wing (b) South wing and (c) additions on East. (a) The West wing retains the cellar of St Mary's College the upper part having been converted and rebuilt as a house about 1582. The cellar is medieval and retains what is probably a reused late C12 cylindrical stone column with a moulded base and a scalloped cap; from this rise 2 later pointed stone arches under a barrel vault. The South elevation was refaced in early C18 and now consists of 2-storeyed rubble with a band at the 1st floor, stone coping, 3 stone-faced stacks and a modern red tile roof. The upper storey is a C19 replacement. The ground floor has a central doorway with a C18 2-columned porch with a moulded entablature; to East of this are 3 modern sash windows and on the West of it a 3-light French window. Over the porch in the lst floor is a large sundial, dated 1888, in a pedimented frame and to West of this a 3-light window in a plain stone frame; to East are 3 sash windows. On the North of this wing are later additions, and the alterations here made by Dr Shadwell after 1887 were carried out by Graham Jackson, architect. (b) The South wing was built in 1721 and consists of a 2-storeyed rubble building with a brown tile roof in which are 2 hipped attic dormers on the West and 3 on the East. In the West elevation are 3 1st-floor sash windows and 2 in the ground floor, all in stone frames. The modern stone porch erected by Dr Shadwell in the North West angle has a segmental pediment and a moulded frame over the head of the doorway. In it is inscribed a chronogram incorporating the names of Frewin and Shadwell. The East side of this wing has a large rebuilt eaves stack of stone and there are some C18 windows here. (c) The 2 1-storeyed buildings on East are of indeterminate but late date; not included in the grading. Interior: RCHM p 171 b. Includes the medieval cellar, late C16 panelling, plaster ceilings and a fireplace and some C18 features. History In 1435 the Augustinian College of St Mary was founded on the site. After being dissolved in 1540 the buildings became a Hall of the University and later in C16 a charity school and almshouse. In 1580 the house and site passed by exchange to Brazenose College, the present owners. In 1582 the site was let to Griffith Lloyd (Principal of Jesus College, d 1586) who built, or rebuilt, what is now the ground floor of the West wing over the then existing cellar. Dr Richard Frewin (Dictionary of National Biography), another tenant in early C18, built the South wing and apparently also doubled the width of the West wing and refaced it. On his death in 1761 he left the lease as a residence for the Regius Professor of Medicine, which use was continued until 1849. In 1860-1 the house was occupied by the Prince of Wales, afterwards King Edward VII and subsequently by James Skene (Dictionary of National Biography), Dr C L Shadwell, Provost of oriel, in 1887 and by Sir Charles Oman (d 1946). (See Proc Oxf Arch and Hist Soc VI (1894) 38-42; H Paintin's Hist Oxf Houses No 1 Frewin Hall; Oxfordsh Arch Soc Rept 1931. No 76, pp. 367-391).

Listing NGR: SP5119806270

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245684

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 171
Paintin, H, History of Oxford Houses
'Oxfordshire Archaeology Society Report' in Oxfordshire Archaeology Society Report, , Vol. 76, (1931), 367-391
'Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society' in Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society, (1894), 38-42

End of official listing