This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PART OF THE WHITE HART HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PART OF THE WHITE HART HOTEL

List entry Number: 1123119

Location

PART OF THE WHITE HART HOTEL, 11, MARKET END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coggeshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116168

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL MARKET END (south side)

9/139 No. 11 (part of The 2.5.53 White Hart Hotel) (formerly listed as Guildhall)

GV II*

Part of house, now part of hotel. C15, altered in C16, C17 and 1971. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range of one bay facing N, with C20 stack at right end behind axis. 2-bay wing to rear left, and one-bay extension beyond. 2 storeys. Ground floor, one C20 bow window. First floor, one C18/early C19 splayed bay of sashes of 8-12-8 lights; to each side of it, a flank window with modern glazing; the left window has one ovolo mullion and one diamond saddle bar, the remainder blocked, the right window is complete, with 2 ovolo mullions and 3 diamond saddle bars. 2 C20 6-panel doors, each with a plain overlight. Early C19 continuous moulded fascia over doors and bow window. Mortices for former oriel window on first floor. Late C16 projecting feature gable with moulded bressumer, and some C20 replacement studding. Early C19 semi-conical street lamp attached to building with C20 wrought iron bracket. The ground floor has a C20 wide wood-burning hearth with C20 carved mantel beam, 2 chamfered longitudinal beams, unstopped, and plain joists of vertical section, many replaced. The first floor has a similar hearth. To left and right heavy studding is exposed, smoke-blackened but scraped; the framing to left has curved display braces trenched into the studs, structurally part of no. 9 (item 9/138, q.v.). The feature gable has been let into the front pitch of the original roof c.1600, severing some of the rafters. Traces of original red paint on the diamond saddle bars and window frames, mostly scraped. Queen post roof with 2 hollow- chamfered cranked tiebeams, each with 2 hollow-chamfered braces meeting in the middle. The braces of the left truss, against the wall of no. 9, are solid; those of the right truss have open spandrels, fully hollow-chamfered. Each truss has 2 semi-octagonal queen posts with moulded bases and caps (although one on the right disappears behind the stack) and 3-way rising braces, to cambered collars and upright purlins, all chamfered. In the middle of the roof is an original square vent for a ridge louvre, the bottom rails chamferd on the inside, blocked. This is a rare survival, meriting special care. An attic floor recorded by the RCHM has been removed in a major renovation of 1971, leaving stubs of the former beams. The rear wing and extension are wholly plastered internally, with no dating evidence visible. Known as Mavesons or Mabsons in the C16 (G.F. Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 129 and 232-3). RCHM 75.

Listing NGR: TL8500622539

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beaumont, GF , A History of Coggeshall in Essex, (1890), 232-3

National Grid Reference: TL 85006 22539

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 11:20:01.

End of official listing