This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SAWYER'S FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SAWYER'S FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1123718

Location

SAWYER'S FARMHOUSE, SAWYER'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tolleshunt Major

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 353215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESHUNT MAJOR SAWYER'S ROAD TL 81 SE (west side) 2/111 Sawyer's Farmhouse 16.1.81 - II

House. C18 and early C19, extended in C20. Timber framed and plastered, and painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Comprises an C18 timber framed house of 3 bays facing approx. N, with central stack, and a brick house of c.1840 to the E, also facing N, with central stack forming a lobby-entrance, and original porch. C20 2-storey extension to rear of brick house. First build of one storey with attics, second build of 2 storeys. N elevation, first build, 2 C20 sashes and one C20 casement, and 2 C20 sashes in lean-to dormers; gambrel roof. Second build, on ground floor 2 original sashes of 16 lights; on first floor 2 similar sashes and one original sash of 12 lights. 6-panel door at front of brick porch with flat roof. Main roof and roof of rear extension hipped. At rear of first build, 2 early C19 sashes of 5 + 10 lights. The interior of the first build has exposed framing, primary straight bracing, unjowled posts, unchamfered axial beam with plain joists of vertical section in left bay, C20 floor in right bay. Wood-burning hearth with brick arch supported by iron bar in left bay, other hearth rebuilt in C20. The second build retains all or most of the original internal features. In left ground floor room, folding internal shutters and reeded fire surround with concentric rings at corners. On first floor, 2 small cast iron grates, original. All internal doors original, including 2 which are half-glazed, with slender glazing bars. There are deeds from 1753 in Essex Record Office; Sawyer's Farm is first mentioned by name in 1811 (C/TS 21).

Listing NGR: TL8943512227

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 89435 12227

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:31:05.

End of official listing