This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BONIFACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BONIFACE

List entry Number: 1126543

Location

CHURCH OF ST BONIFACE, MITCHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422728

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 27 71 1207- /17/10041

WANDSWORTH MITCHAM ROAD CHURCH OF ST BONIFACE

II Church; Roman Catholic. Begun 1906-7; completed 1927. Architect: Father Benedict Williamson, with J.H. Benet Foss. Brick with stone dressing in Venetian Romanesque style. Nave with side aisles and integral square brick tower with stone banding around the belfry at north-west corner. Slate roof; copper-covered spire. Basilican plan. West elevation to Mitcham Road: Central double-height gable of nave pierced by large recessed rose window. This is framed by a simple segmental band of stone springing from stone lintels supported by four short columns with abstract Egyptianised capitals. Below these are two projecting features with stone Byzantine-style hoods with a single recessed window. Tripartite ground floor with central round-arched entrance divided by a single column. The columns on the ground floor all have the abstract, neo-Egyptian capitals. Above the middle column dividing the entrance is a carved stone figure of Christ.

INTERIOR. Two six-bay arcades, smooth and flat with clerestory windows above. Plain round columns with carved letters on the capitals. Timber tie-beam roof to nave. Lean-to aisles with timber ceilings. Aisle walls lined with mosaic panels in the form of tryptichs depicting the Stations of the Cross. Simple wooden panelling below. Apsidal chancel at east end with curved fitted altar of stone, with Egyptian-style capitals. South altar: statue in niche within larger architectural surround with triangular hood. North altar: Madonna and Child in niche within surround with semi-circular hood. Original simple oak pews. Organ gallery at west end.

Benedict Williamson (1868-1948) trained as an architect but became a priest in 1906, the year work on this church began. He returned to architecture in the 1920s, when he was amongst the first architects to take up Egyptian style motifs. This is recommended as the best of his later works.

Listing NGR: TQ2790071045

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27900 71045

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:50:57.

End of official listing