CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1127295
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RAMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:24:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RAMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Longstanton
National Grid Reference:
TL 39899 66417

Details

TL 36NE LONGSTANTON RAMPTON ROAD (North West Side)

4/73 Church of All Saints 31.8.62

GV I

Parish church, mostly mid-late C14. Restorations of 1886, and 1891 including chancel and fenestration. Fieldstone with clunch dressings, now replaced by limestone. Tiled roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, North and South aisles, South chapel and chancel. Three stage West tower, embattled, with plinth to five stage diagonal buttresses. Newel staircase in South East angle. Restored West window. Bell chamber openings are C14 of two cinquefoil openings in two-centred head. Beast gargoyles to corners of cornice. Spire of limestone ashlar with two tiers of gabled lucernes. Nave: also of fieldstone with limestone dressings. South aisle has two stage angle buttresses and restored reticulated tracery to C14 windows. South porch rebuilt C19. South chapel, also C14 but restored and reroofed in C19. Some brick to upper courses. Two stage splayed plinth. Chancel: has a low side window in a two centred arch and a South doorway of two ogee moulded orders. Interior: Nave arcade C14-C15 in four bays with two wave moulded orders to two centred arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. North aisle has C15-C16 crown posts to lean-to roof. The South chapel contains monuments to the Hatton family, including a tomb chest of alabaster with effigies of Sir Thomas Halton d.1658 and his wife Lady Mary, said to be by E. Marshall, and a canopy of 1770. In the North aisle, reset, is a box pew of late C16 oak, with sunken panelling, frieze of fruit and foliage, dentil cornice and jewelled work to the pilasters. The chancel has C14 sedilia in three bays with cusped ogee arches in square head. There are wide blank arches to North and South walls of chancel possibly originally for chapels. Font, C15, octagonal with traceried panels to the sides. C19 funeral bier in North aisle and two C16-C17 oak chests in South aisle. Pevsner. Buildings of England p.432 R.C.H.M. record card

Listing NGR: TL3989966417

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
50821
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 432

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/03976/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jane Greatorex. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].