Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1127339

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 21:05:23.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Cottenham

National Grid Reference: TL4551668636


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4568 COTTENHAM HIGH STREET (East Side) 13/7 Church of All Saints 31.8.62


Parish church, of C13 origins but mostly rebuilt in C15 and the upper stages of the West tower are 1617. Restored C19 and C20. The early C13 parts of the church including the lower stages of the West tower and the chancel arch are of limestone ashlar, but the C15 part of the church is of sandstone rubble and the 1617 upper stages of the West tower are of pink brick. Embattled mansard roofs, C19, leaded, to nave, chancel and North and South porches. Plan of West tower, nave with North and South aisles, North and South Porches and chancel. West tower, C13 with the two upper stages rebuilt in 1617. Four stages, on splayed plinth. Embattled parapet with four corner bulbous ogee finials of 1617. West doorway, C13 of two hollow moulded orders in two centred arch with label. West window of four lights with intersecting tracery (restored) in two centred arch. The bell chamber openings have C13 intersecting tracery in the heads, and were probably reset c.1617. There is a sundial on the South West buttress, and the clock was rebuilt and restored c.1980. The stair turret is in the North East angle. Nave, C15 rebuilt on site of C13 church. Embattled parapet, with moulded main cornice and beast gargoyles above clerestory of five windows, each of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. The South aisle and porch is contemporary with the nave and has similar but larger fenestration. The chancel is also C15, but the fenestration is restored. Interior: The nave is in five bays. Two centred arches of two hollow moulded orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Continuous moulded label with mask stops above the nave arcades. The chancel arch is early C13 double chamfered but the responds are C15, half round with half octagonal capitals. C15 piscina and three seat sedilia in four bays, each with four centred foiled arch on columns with engaged shafts, in square heads with frieze of quatrefoils above. Wall monument, North wall of chancel Mrs Alice Rogers and son Richard Dacres, White marble cartouche with drapery and cherubs heads beneath crest. Font, octagonal bowl on octagonal stem, C15. Pevsner. Buildings of England p.325 R.C.H.M. record card

Listing NGR: TL45516 68636


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50749

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 325

End of official listing