PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127349

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127349 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 12:43:27.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Milton

National Grid Reference: TL 48020 62883

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4862-4962 MILTON CHURCH LANE (East Side) 17/116 Parish Church of 31.8.62 All Saints

II*

Parish Church. Norman chancel arch and east nave wall, nave arcades c.1300. Aisles widened in early C15; north aisle demolished in 1779 and rebuilt 1864; south aisle restored 1855, and south porch 1847 with original stone bench. Chancel C13 with C15 priests' door and south window, rebuilt except for south wall 1847, chancel roof designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Nave clerestorey early C16 and roof with ceiling inserted by Rev Knight (Rector 1776-1790), nave possibly extended in late C14 (with C16 fenestration) to C14 tower with embattled parapet and finials C15. Vestry 1972, with plans to link south aisle to new building 1983. Walls of Barnack limestone and limestone ashlar and rubble plastered, brick repairs, limestone and clunch dressings. Plain tile roofs with modern tiles to chancel. South elevation; tower of three stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet with corner finials; single light square headed belfry windows. Clerestorey, two three-light windows with four-centred heads and sunk spandrels, nave window of four similar lights with square head and drip mould. South porch, modern with south doorway seen by Wm Cole in 1744 possibly C16 copy of Norman arch. Two, restored, south aisle windows with two cinquefoil lights. Chancel, C15 three-cinquefoil light window and priests' door with head stops. Chancel east wall monument to Ths Cannon 1726. Interior. Nave arcades of three bays with shortened bay to west including original porch to south. Piers, quatrefoil in plan with fillets between, bell capitals and bases; two-centred arches of two hollow chamfered orders. South aisle with defaced C15 niche, piscena with shelf, and locker rebated for door. Nave roof of four bays with braced moulded tie beams and centre drop finials with rosettes. Moulded intermediate posts die in late C18 plastered ceiling, cornice with embattled and banner decoration. Aisle roofs modern. Chancel arch plain round-headed with roll moulding to nave springing from plain shafted capitals. Two-centred arched niche to alter C13. Chancel roof rebuilt; C13 double piscena with arch to west possibly reduced for inserted sedilia, plain aumbrey to east. Tower arch two-centred of two chamfered orders. Font C13 plain octagonal bowl. Brass with two robed figures and small brass insets of five children inscribed 'Pray for the soul of William Coke Knight one of the Kings Justices died 1553', and 'without law the People come to ruin'. Wall monuments, i) to Elizabeth wife of Samuel Knight 1800, marble with two sculptred figures by Flaxman, ii) to Samuel Knight 1823 marble with draped altar stone and dove by Chantrey, iii) to Samuel Knight 1835 and widow 1844, plain pedimented marble slab by A. Swinton, Camb, and iv) brass plate inscribed John Harris 1659 with small incised kneeling figures and shield of arms. Glass in east window of north aisle, Flemish C17 removed 1983 for alterations. South aisle window with three shields of arms including the arms of Margaret of Anjou, foundress of Queens College. Chancel east window glass of note, and in south porch by Constable of Cambridge, glass in south aisle with intitial I.P.B. 1845. Some reused C17 panelling in pews and carved panelled door to vestry, fine C17 communion table. Choir stalls with misericords C15 possibly faced each other. Altar rail C17 from Kings College chapel introduced by Wm Cole in 1779. Royal arms from Landbeach church above south door. Clay, W.K. History of Milton 1868 C.A.S. Vol. 7, p. 106, 1888-1891 Humphries, K.P. Transcription of Wm Coke brass 1969 Gunnis, R. p. 91, p. 147 Art Journal 1868 (Flaxman) Pevsner: Buildings of England p. 442

Listing NGR: TL4802062883

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50663

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clay, WK, History of Milton, (1869)
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 91 147
Humphries, K P , Transcription of WM Coke Brass, (1969)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 442
'Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society' in Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, , Vol. 7, (1891), 106
'Art Journal' in Art Journal, (1868)

End of official listing