MALTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128354

Date first listed: 26-Oct-1982

Statutory Address: MALTON FARMHOUSE, MALTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MALTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 16:35:10.

Location

Statutory Address: MALTON FARMHOUSE, MALTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Orwell

National Grid Reference: TL 37334 48310

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORWELL MALTON LANE TL 34 NE 7/290 Malton Farmhouse 26.10.82 GV II*

House. C15 open hall and north east crosswing. Early C16 alterations include the insertion of a ceiling into the open-hall, the addition of a chimney in the south east side, the raising of the roof over the hall and possibly the addition of the south west crosswing. The pantiled range on the south east side is of C17-C18 origin remodelled in C19. The medieval and C16 parts have C19 fenestration. Timber frame, plaster rendered and tiled roof with early red brick chimney stack to south east side of the hall. Later stacks to crosswing and south east range. Original C15 plan of hall with north east crosswing, C16 plan of double end hall house and the present plan is of two parallel adjoining ranges with a valley gutter between two roofs. C15 house of two storeys. Three flush frame hung sashes of sixteen panes each at first floor. Two other C19 and later windows at ground floor. Two doorways with C19 narrow hoods on shaped brackets. The doorway to north east end opens to former cross passage between hall and crosswing. North East crosswing of two storeys with first floor possibly jettied originally. The original roof is intact but the C16 raised roof of the hall range has been built over parts of that of the crosswing. Two bays and part of a bay. One sixteen pane hung sash at first floor. South west crosswing also of two storeys with the first floor possibly originally jettied at both ends. Part of the roof at the North west end was incorporated in the roof raise of the hall. The south east range-has C19 gault brick casing to an earlier addition to the C15 house. C19 house slated, with end stacks. Two storeys and attic. Range of four recessed sixteen pane hung sashes with larger similar windows at ground floor and nine pane hung sashes to the attic. Interior: Open-hall in two bays with early C16 roof incorporating smoke blackened rafters from C15 house, Roof raised probably at same time as floor inserted. South east wall of hall has framing exposed in part to show the original plate of the open hall. The contemporary North east crosswing is also at lower eaves and ridge height. c.1510 inserted floor has roll moulding and leaf stops to joists and main beams. Soft red brick to side stack inserted probably at same time. Now with early C18 fireplace, reset. A partition wall between the cross-passage and the hall has been removed. It was probably on the site of the original screen. At first floor the thickened head of one of the principal posts associated with display truss remains. North east crosswing, at ground floor has parts of two three centred arches, adjacent, leading from cross-passage to service rooms. These were originally divided by a partition wall. Heavy joists unmoulded and laid flat in the ceiling of this room. Present staircase to first floor chamber possibly on site of original. Arch bracing, now removed, to cambered central tie beam with chamfered crown-post. The rafters of the original roof are intact. At south east end, now concealed by later addition, is a four light diamond mullion window. The south west crosswing has short arch bracing to a tie beam visible at the south east end. The roof is of clasped side purlin construction. The south range, parallel to the medieval house is of uncertain date. The ground floor rooms have intersecting main beams, now boxed. The house is near a moated site, and is the only building remaining from the former village of Malton. It was probably built for William Horn (d.1469) or his son. It was acquired by Lady Margaret Beaufort and given by her to Christ's College, Cambridge in 1505-6. Building work was carried out there under the terms of her Will.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs. Mon. (24)

Listing NGR: TL3733448310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52341

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing