ESHOLT HALL WITH TERRACE AND ADJOINING CONSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1133190

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: ESHOLT HALL WITH TERRACE AND ADJOINING CONSERVATORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of ESHOLT HALL WITH TERRACE AND ADJOINING CONSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 18:48:10.

Location

Statutory Address: ESHOLT HALL WITH TERRACE AND ADJOINING CONSERVATORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 18858 39670

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 ESHOLT ESTATE Lower Esholt

4.9.52 Esholt Hall

- with Terrace and adjoining

Conservatory SE 1839 15/40

II*

2. Built on the site of the Medieval Esholt nunnery, by Sir Walter Calverley in 1706-07. A remarkably sophisticated double pile house in a restrained renaissance style, for this date in West Yorkshire. The mason was Joseph Pope of Fennley (1673-1717). The 2-storey symmetrical elevations of finely detailed gritstone with ashlar dressings, are raised on a terrace built on the lower stages of the nunnery. Chamfered rusticated quoins, plinth, moulded plat band, simply carved modillion eaves cornice and blocking course. Steep hipped slate roof (mound valley) with tall, corniced, ashlar chimneys. The principal (and original entrance front) to the south is of 7 bays the centre 3 breaking forward slightly under a modillioned pediment. Tall gracefully proportioned windows with glazing bar sashes in architrave surrounds, of equal proportions on both floors. Central, partly glazed, doorway in architrave surround with segmental pediment on consoles. The east front has the 3 central bays shallowly recessed, similar details to fenestration - finely carved consoles and spray in frieze of corniced doorway to centre. The window above, in eared architrave surround, is surmounted by an armorial panel with supporting sprays. The west front has addition of mid C19 archivolt arched porch. Good rainwater heads with armorial bearings in scrolled surrounds, clamps ornamented with the owl crest, and dated 1832, (for the Stansfield family who purchased the estate in 1755). The interior considerably altered in the C19 and subsequent to acquisition by Bradford Corporation as offices for the sewage works. Part of the ground floor of the nunnery with trefoil headed windows and groin vaulted roof, forms the cellars of the present building under the ashlar faced terrace. Extending north of the east front is a substantial circa 1840-60 conservatory, consisting of a taller central pavilion with raised hipped glazed roof, flanked by lower wings. Narrow pane glazing to roofs, glazing bar lights to sides.



Listing NGR: SE1885839670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 336412

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing