Sunny Bank

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1133970
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
Sunny Bank, 25-29, Sunnybank Road

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133970.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 04:20:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Sunny Bank, 25-29, Sunnybank Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE0876521197

Details

SE 087212 1/136 ELLAND SUNNYBANK ROAD (south side) Nos 25 to 29 (odd) (Sunnybank) (Formerly listed as Nos 25 to 39 (odd), previously listed as Sunny Bank)

24.1.68 II* House in more than one occupation, mainly mid C16. Timber framed exterior with hammer-dressed stone and stone slate roof. The house is essentially a long, gabled two storey block divided into two parts by a cross-passage.

The north elevation has three main gables all with king-post trusses with 'V'-struts. The two gables to the right are probably to the main hall with parlour wing, separated from the service end by a cross-passage which has a small gabled entrance with a lower ridge level and with a large stack backing on to it from the hall range. This northern entrance has ornate doorway with ogee lintel and herringbone studding to uprights. The south front shows marked differences in levels and materials. The service end is of two bays and two storey with stone wall with exposed king-post truss and has flat faced C19 mullioned windows inserted into earlier C17 wall of five lights with four-light window over to left bay and three-light windows to both floors to right bay which has quoins and a continuous outshut with cat-slide roof to north side. The end of the cross-passage has timber framing of close-studding to first floor with angle brace to wall plate and down post. The left hand two ranges to hall and parlour are gabled as at north side with xposed trusses with many 'V'-struts and have a higher roof line than cross-passage/service end, the posts are visible built into stonework with girding beam to first floor.

This is an important surviving partly timber framed building of quite complex development as evidenced by three different rooflines. In fact the house was not built all at once; this is clear from the timber posts in the south wall and the cross-passage which are not placed where they should be to support the existing structure. The oldest part of the structure can be seen at the south-end of the cross-passage. A timber post resting on a stylobat carries a bressumer and wall plate, and it is clear from the pegholes that these members were continued on both sides of the post, although they are now only visible on the west side. The next post to the east is 13' away. Pegholes on the bressumer indicate that there were once studs below as well as above it Presumably these were removed when the house was extended, because it was then that the cross-passage was made.

The deeds show that in 1472 the house came into the ownership of Thomas Wilkinson and in 1544 it passed to Henry Savile of Bradley Hall (q.v.). It would appear that the Saviles rebuilt the house before 1517, because they were rebuilding Bradley Hall in stone by that date. It seems most probable that the greater part of Sunnybank dates from c.1550. A more thorough survey of the older part might indicate its date; something prior to 1400 is not improbable.

Listing NGR: SE0876521197

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
338560
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 4
Leyland, J, Views of Ancient Buildings of Halifax, (1819)
Pacey, A J , Elland Buildings, (1964)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 626
Walton, J, Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield District, (1955)
Ford, T F, 'Thoresby Society Miscellanea' in Thoresby Society Miscellanea, , Vol. 28, (1928), 16
Other
J. Lister, H.A.S. (1902)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/16126/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].