CLIFF HILL AND ATTACHED ARCHWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134454

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CLIFF HILL AND ATTACHED ARCHWAY, TOWN GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLIFF HILL AND ATTACHED ARCHWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 15:29:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CLIFF HILL AND ATTACHED ARCHWAY, TOWN GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 02842 26426

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE TOWN GATE SE 0226 & SE 0326 (north side, off), Midgley 4/260 Cliff Hill and attached 15.11.66 archway GV II Farmhouse with attached archway. Dated "INMN 1601"; addition, alterations and archway of c.1700. Thinly-coursed rubble interspersed with larger blocks, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 2 to left being an addition; a rear outshut to bays 3 and 4, bay 2 built out in line with this and a later rear outshut to bay 5 completing the rear range. Earlier 3-bay range on right: door between left bays has chamfered quoined shallow-basket-arched surround the lintel with date panel. A 5-light double-chamfered mullion window to left (1 mullion removed) and a similar 8-light window to right, the door and these windows under continuous dripmould, rising over door, with leaf and heart stops. Inserted plain-stone surround doorway to far left. To left a blocked inserted doorway and a 6-light chamfered mullion window (some mullions renewed). On 1st floor, single-chamfered mullion windows of 5, 7 and 5 lights. Shaped kneeler and coping to right end. 3 corniced ridge stacks, on right of each bay. 2-bay addition on left: chamfered mullion windows. Left bay, projecting forward, has a 3-light window to each floor and doorway in right return. Right bay has a blocked doorway to left of a 4-light window with a 5-light window above, shaped kneeler and coping to left end. c.1980 ridge stack between bays. Archway springing from right angle of left bay has springer, round arch, dropped keystone, coped rubble walling above, and dies into wall of barn (q.v.). Rear: original outshut has quoins and chamfered mullion windows of 4, 2 and 3 lights (most mullions removed). Right return has similar windows of 3 and 2 lights to ground floor. Left return: flat-faced mullion windows; two 1st-floor taking-in doors. Interior not inspected at time of resurvey. With their 1st-floor doors it is likely that the left-hand bays were added to provide extra workshop accommodation.

Listing NGR: SE0284226426

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339392

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing