This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FALLINGWORTH HALL AND FALLINGWORTH HALL COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FALLINGWORTH HALL AND FALLINGWORTH HALL COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1134491

Location

FALLINGWORTH HALL AND FALLINGWORTH HALL COTTAGE, NORLAND TOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 339288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE NORLAND TOWN ROAD SE 0622-0722 (north side) , Norland 16/144 Fallingworth Hall and Fallingworth Hall 15.11.66 Cottage - II House, now two. Early-mid C17, porch added 1642, late C18 - early C19 and C19 alterations. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. Lobby-entry 3-cell plan. 2 storeys, 3 bays (4 1st-floor windows) with 2-storey porch between bays 2 and 3 and 3-storey rear range to bays 1 and 2. Chamfered plinth; double-chamfered mullion-and-transom windows; string. From left: bay 1: a 6-light window with king mullion to left of doorway, probably C19, with reset Tudor-arched lintel dated 'I/MB/M 1616/H' (Michael and Isabel Barrow) and flanked by decorative stops. On 1st floor, windows of 6-lights with king mullion and 2 lights. Bay 2: a 2 + 4 light window to each floor. To bays 1 and 2 a continuous 1st-floor dripmould with decorative stop to left. Porch: moulded Tudor-arched doorway dated '16 AD 42', 1st-floor 2-light window with dripmould flanked by rainwater spouts; parapet gabled over window with moulded coping and finials (as at Lower Old Hall (q.v)); 1st-floor oculus in each return; inside, stone benches and chamfered quoined Tudor-arched inner doorway. Bay 3: 7-light window without transom; above, a 6-light window under decorative-stopped hoodmould. Chamfered gutter brackets throughout; kneelers and coping to right end; 2 ridge stacks. Rear: rear range heightened late C18 early C19 (probably for loom shop) has quoins; a doorway to right of added outshut which masks most of ground floor; on 1st floor a 2-light double-chamfered window (mullion removed) to left and a 2-light chamfered window to right: a blocked 2-light flat-faced mullion window to 2nd floor; the right end returns at an acute angle and has a 3-light, now 2-light, chamfered mullion window and a blind archway on 2nd floor. Left return: main house; plinth and string returned from front. Rear range: a 4-light double-chamfered mullion window to lst floor; on 2nd floor a blocked taking-in door to left and a blocked 2-Tight flat-faced mullion window to right; in gable a blocked square light and ledge. Interior: central house-body has moulded shallow-Tudor-arched fireplace with elaborate stops and sunk spandrels; stop-chamfered spine-beams; joists with incised lines. Right-hand room in rear range (now garage) has chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace on rear wall. 1st floor: central room has basket-arched fireplace with broad stopped-chamfer and is open to porch room which has stone flags under present floor covering. Resued purlins, rafters and ridge-piece. The reused dated lintel comes from Fields, now demolished (Kendall p133 ) T F Ford, 'Some buildings of the 17th Century in tile parish of Halifax', Thoresby Society Publications, Vol XXVIII. H P Kendall, 'Fields in Norland', Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 10,1913, pp133-139. RCHM(E) Report (31455).

Listing NGR: SE0675922838

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ford, T T, 'Thoresby Society Publications' in Some Buildings of the 17th Century in the Parish of Halifax, ()
Other
(1913)

National Grid Reference: SE 06759 22838

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:36:50.

End of official listing