Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1135427

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1988



Ordnance survey map of THE HERMITAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135427 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 00:40:38.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 45667 21793


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PONTEFRACT SOUTHGATE SE 4521 NE (south side) 8/61 The Hermitage


Hermitage. 1386. By Adam de Laythorpe and his son Robert. Hewn out of carbon- iferous sandstone. Situated below ground under what is now Pontefract General Infirmary. There are two chambers, side by side but on different levels, out of the lower one leads a short passage to a spiral staircase descending vertically to a well. The chamber to the west, known as the Oratory is thought to be the later of the two, and contains a fireplace with a rock-hewn flue, with a low stool next to it, a bench, and a bed shelf. In the centre is a large C19 brick pier. Access is through a pointed-arched doorway, probably reused in C19 from the nearby site of the Priory of St Richard, founded in 1256. The eastern chamber is entered by an original basket-arched doorway, rebated for a door and bolt-holes. From it a barrel-vaulted passage leads to the staircase of 72 steps, with clearly- marked pick/hammer chisel marks. There are four candle niches. Near the bottom is a bas relief figure of Death, a skeleton with prominent rib-cage and fore- shortened legs, carrying a spear. (There is a third chamber, no longer visible, said to have the letters "DITIS" carved on the lintel). At the bottom is'a basin filled with water, this being the water-table. Outside the doorway are late C15 window heads, probably from the Priory Church of St Richard. In front of the Hermitage are 3 C19 Tudor-arched brick doorways. The security devices protecting the well are thought to have been intended to prevent the holy water being taken for withcraft. Pontefract is known to have had a hermit in the early C13, and the tradition seems to have continued for about three centuries.

Listing NGR: SE4566721793


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342700

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing