This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1137916



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ampthill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37351

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 774 CHURCH STREET (North Side)

No 34 (Dynevor House) TL 0338 1/22 17.7.51.


2. Formerly known as Paunfort Lodge. Originally the mansion of the prosperous Simon Urlin, who owned the large garden subsequently annexed to Avenue House (see No 20 above), the avenue in fact leading to No 34. 3-storey house of 1725 built in red brick, chequered with blue. Finely moulded brick cornice below a plain parapet with stone coping. Eastern (entrance) front: 7 windows in broad flush frames. Lower edges of the plain red flat arches over the West of the 2 upper floors are slightly recessed to form a series of delicate curves (of similar treatment at No 1 Bedford Street, above). The brick cornice only continues round the North, East and South sides. On the Western (garden) front above the 1st floor is a boldly projecting wooden cornice with large modillions. Above this cornice, the 2nd floor is only indicated at either end by 2 blank windows, while over the 3 central windows the parapet drops in a curve to a much lower level. Southern (street) front has 3 windows, of which the central one on each floor is blank. Original door (in centre of East front), with boldly fielded panels and brass furniture, is set between panelled reveals in a finely carved wooden frame: fluted pilasters lead to an elaborate classical entablature with triglyphs and modillions.

Nos 34 and 36, Little Dynevor, Nos 1 to 7 (consec) (Feoffee Almshouses) form a group with Parish Church of St Andrews.

Listing NGR: TL0368438229

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 03684 38229


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137916 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:15:44.

End of official listing