This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1138929

Location

THE OLD HALL, SUGAR LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Rainow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58065

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 97 NW RAINOW C.P. SUGAR LANE (South Side)

2/154 The Old Hall

14/4/1967

II

Formerly farmhouse now house: earlier C17 with addition dated 1690 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared buff sandstone rubble. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 3 stone chimneys. T-shaped in plan. 2-storey, 3-bay south front. Blocked door in right end bay under hood mould. Other bays have C20 windows under hood moulds. Right gable end has 4, 2-light chamfered stone mullions under hood moulds and one left gable end has 1 similar 3-light, 3 2-lights and 2 1-lights. Wing to rear has 2-storey, 3-bay east front. Left end bay has a heavy door lintel with FES (for Francis Stevenson) 1690 carved on it. (A C20 copy taken from the original rainhead). A 2-light stone mullion and a tiny leaded light to attic above. 3-light stone mullions in central bay, 2-light in right end bay. Good rainhead is 1930 copy of the original but some original decorated lead guttering. Interior: Timber-framed partition walls. Dogleg C17 staircase with shaped and pierced flat balusters, moulded handrail and square newels. Most doors 6-panelled with reeded rails, turned handles and wooden latches. Roof structure has 2 trusses of tiebeam, 2 diagonal struts and a collar. 2 chamfered beams in main room with plain stops.

The continuation of the wing towards the road was rebuilt in 1975 and is not included in the item. Formerly known as Sugar Lane Farmhouse.

Listing NGR: SJ9491676124

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 94916 76124

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138929 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:44:22.

End of official listing