CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139622

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, MIDDLESBROUGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 23:12:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, MIDDLESBROUGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 53210 20806

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH BANK MIDDLESBROUGH ROAD NZ 52 SW north side 3/102 Church of St. Peter G.V. II

Roman Catholic Church, 1903/05 by Lowther (Hull). Brick with stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs. Disoriented, terms used are ritual. Continuous aisled nave and chancel with half-octagonal apse, south porch, short pent transepts, and north-west tower. Decorated style with curvilinear tracery and French Gothic style tower. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses rising to short pyramid-capped turrets. Lower stages have lancets under hoodmoulds; canted porch in north face. Paired lancet bell openings with louvres and cusped heads. Clock faces below eaves of steeply-pitched, sprocketed, hipped roof, with ball-and-spike finials. West end of nave has similar angle buttresses, flanking boarded double doors, with scrolled strap hinges, under shouldered heads, in paired pointed surrounds of 3 moulded orders on nook shafts and foliate capitals. Enriched hoodmoulds, gargoyles in spandrels and richly-carved tympana. Tall paired windows with nook shafts, flanking figure of St. Peter in niche with enriched corbel and hood. Rood in gable. 4-bay north aisle and 5-bay south aisle; each has hip-roofed canted projecting chapel. Gabled porch has similar doors and surround. Transepts canted at east ends. Tapered timber and metal ridge vent, on nave, has cusped-headed openings, ogee-domed roof and weather vane; louvres missing. INTERIOR: 6-bay arcades have compound granite shafts and foliate capitals. Round wall shafts, with carved capitals, between apse windows. Foundation stone dated 1903 on north side of apse. West gallery, holding organ, over glazed timber screen. Ceiled hammerbeam roof has cusped curved braces with enriched pendants. Pointed cross-vaulting in aisles. Stucco stations of cross on aisle walls. Wrought iron screens in easternmost bays of arcades. Similar communion rails. Later house and offices, adjoining north side of chancel, are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ5321020806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60364

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing