Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140133

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: 7, BLANCH CROFT


Ordnance survey map of 7, BLANCH CROFT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140133 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 00:39:17.


Statutory Address: 7, BLANCH CROFT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Melbourne

National Grid Reference: SK 38562 25319


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The following shall be added: SK 3825 MELBOURNE BLANCH CROFT (south east side) 1059- /6/10001 No.7 II House and textile workshop, empty at time of inspection. Circa 1800, with minor C19 alterations. Red brick with a slated roof and gable stacks. One and a half bays deep, with first floor frame shop above ground floor service room in half bay to street frontage. North-west elevation; 2 storeys 2 bays with combined door and window opening to south-west below shallow segmental brick arch. C20 6-panel door and window frame. To the right, a 2-light horizontal sliding sash window, each light of 12 panes below a segmental brick arch. To the left, a plain planked door gives access to a separate, but integral store, possibly formerly heated. First floor frame shop window, once continuous, now divided into 3, 3 light windows, each light of 4 panes, the central light opening. Brickwork blocking subdivides the former single opening. Above openings, a dog-toothed eaves course. Rear elevation; off-centre doorway below segmental arch, with 4-panel door, the upper panels now glazed. Stacked 2-light windows, each light of 4 panes flank the doorway. These frames incorporate single opening hopper lights, and are modified earlier frames. Ground floor openings have wedge lintels with integral advanced keyblocks, those above are set within plain surrounds below a dog-toothed eaves course.Interior; rear doorway leads to shallow lobby at the foot of stairway made extra wide to serve as the access to the frame shop. Flanking ground floor rooms retain many early features, including panelled cupboard doors with original ironmongery, skirtings and dado rails. One room retains a C19 hearth with grate and cornice mantleshelf. The 2 chambers above retain their hearths, and although the former frame shop has now been subdivided, its former extent may be clearly seen. Other items of interest include 2 ledged and braced doors, and 2, 2 panel doors, all in pegged surrounds. The building is a near-complete example of the textile outworkshop as an integral component of the dwelling-house in an expanding settlement upon which the textile industry was having a significant impact circa 1800.

Listing NGR: SK3856225319


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352058

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing