CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1140249

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 21:17:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Botusfleming

National Grid Reference: SX 40456 61298

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOTUS FLEMING BOTUS FLEMING SX 46 SW 6/13 Church of St Mary 23.1.68 GV II* Parish church. C15, with later C15 tower; C19 restoration. Devon limestone rubble; tower roughcast. Granite dressings. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, with south porch to nave. North aisle. West tower of later C15. Perpendicular style. Nave and chancel in one, of 4 bays; porch in bay to west. There is a projection on the south wall for the rood stair and a plain buttress at the east end. The nave has one window, of C15, in granite, 3-light, with cusped lights, tracery and hollow- moulded surround. Chancel has 2 C19 2-light windows with 4-centred arch and quatrefoil, window to east formerly a door. The chancel east end has 3-light granite C15 window with cusped lights, upper tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. South porch has outer doorway with rounded head and roll and hollow mouldings; slate sundial set over doorway with gnomon, erected by the churchwardens in 1787. Interior of porch has floor of 2 C18 ledger stones in slate, to the Pemberton family, of 1773 and 1789. Inner 4-centred arched doorway with similar mouldings, C19 door with strap hinges. North aisle has C15 granite east window of 3 lights, with cusped lights, tracery and 4-centred arch. Slate tablet on wall to Henry Leigh, 1791. The north side has three 3-light granite windows, as to east, with the central light taller; similar west window. West tower in 3 stages, with diagonal weathered buttresses, moulded plinth, string courses and tall embattled parapet with pinnacles and weathervane to north west. West doorway has 4-centred arch, with roll and hollow mouldings, recessed spandrels with quatrefoils and square hood mould; C19 door with strap hinges. 3-light west window with cusped lights, central light taller, and Perpendicular tracery, with hood mould continued as string course. Chamfered single light at second stage to west and east. Third stage has 3-light bell-openings with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery and louvres. Lancets to north for stair. On the south side, a slate tablet to Grace Keen, 1783. Interior: Re-roofed in late C19, with arched brace roofs re-using earlier bosses, probably of C15. Slate floor partly remaining, with some C19 tiles. Plastered walls. 4-centred tower arch with Pevsner A-type piers and capitals with moulded abaci. Tower has segmental-arched north doorway to stair. 5-bay arcade between the nave and the aisle, with octagonal piers on moulded bases, capitals with fleuron frieze on the abaci; 2 piers have image brackets, a third pier with an image stand with moulded hood. Nave has segmental-arched doorway, chamfered, to rood stair; stair blocked. Chancel has C19 cusped piscina and aumbry. North aisle has small pointed arched piscina. Fittings: Font in nave, probably C14, Purbeck table-top type, with square bowl with flat blank niches with pointed heads to each side. C19 wooden pews and pulpit in nave. Stocks, probably C16 or C17, in porch. Monuments: In north aisle: in a recess in the north wall, the stone effigy of a knight, possibly late C14-early C15, probably one of the Moditons, with crossed legs and carrying a shield. Oval marble tablet on slate ground, with pediment, by Isbell of Stonehouse, to William Symon, 1766. Marble tablet on slate ground, to William Symons, 1832. Marble tablet with eared architrave and festoons of fruit to sides, pediment, to Mark Batt, 1753. In chancel: marble tablet on slate ground, to William Spry, 1842; stone tablet with egg and dart moulded architrave, apron with crossed palms, draped flaming urn to top, by Jno. Rd. Veale of Plymouth, to Elizabeth Bray, 1747. Windows lattice glazed, with late C19 or early C20 stained glass in the chancel windows. Sources: Pevsner, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX4035161284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60765

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing