LOCKO PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1140431

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: LOCKO PARK, LOCKO ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOCKO PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140431 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:16:22.

Location

Statutory Address: LOCKO PARK, LOCKO ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash (District Authority)

Parish: Dale Abbey

National Grid Reference: SK 40967 38648

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF DALE ABBEY LOCKO ROAD SK 43 NW 5/17 (North Side) 2.9.52 Locko Park GV II*

Country house. 1669, c1725-30 attributed to Francis Smith of Warwick, mid-C18, late C18, 1804, Italianate style additions of 1853-6 and 1861-4, both by Henry Stevens of Derby, and 1896. Ashlar and rendered brick. Hipped Welsh slate roofs behind solid and balustraded parapets. Various ashlar ridge and lateral stacks. One, two and three storeys. Four ranges around a courtyard. South elevation has a three storey main block of c1725-30. Divided into 2-5-2 bays by giant rusticated pilasters. Moulded plinth, moulded eaves cornice and balustraded parapets with urns. Central Tuscan Doric porch. Doorway with moulded surround and C19 half-glazed doors. Flanked on each side by four glazing bar sashes in moulded, keyed, architraves. Nine similar windows above and above again. The chapel of 1669 projects to the left. It has two keyed round-arched windows to south and one to east. Horizontal hoodmoulds linked to the keystones. Solid parapet inscribed in bold lettering in Latin, 'My house shall be called the house of prayer'. Matching projecting wing to the right of the main block, probably mid-C18. Similar round-arched window to the west, but to the south are two glazing bar sashes in keyed moulded architraves. Parapet with latin inscription. Irregular west elevation. Shallow gabled end elevation of chapel to right. Tall ashlar doorcase with a segmental pediment similar to the County Hall, Derby of c1660 and hence possibly by the Surveyor, George Eaton. The parapet has a gothic arch in the centre to form a bell-cote. Three bays to the left have early C19 sashes, a doorway and two large tripartite sashes. Projecting wing to left of 2-6-2 bays, two storeys, with glazing bar sashes. Parapets with inscriptions and dates 1804 and 1896. Rising from the centre of the west elevation is a tall Italianate tower of 1853. This has various stringcourses and to the top stage tripartite groups of round-arched windows to each face. Balustraded parapet and angle piers. Irregular east elevation. To the left is a large Italianate porch of 1861-4 with sculptures of birds with outstretched wings at the corners. Three bays to the right with single bar sashes set in large segmental pedimented architraves. Balustraded parapet. Three bays to the right again wtih mullioned windows. Taller four bay wing to the right again, of 1896. Segment headed windows to the ground floor, flat arched above. Courtyard elevations are of stone and red brick. Mostly with mullioned windows to the ground floor and C19 sashes above. Interior: Entrance Hall has a painted ceiling by the brothers Andreotti of Florence. Top-lit picture gallery with dado, dentil cornice and painted ceiling by A Romoli. Drawing room with rich late C19 chimneypiece, gilded cornice and trompe l'oeil painted ceiling by A Romoli. Doorcases with fluted surrounds. Dining room with coved and carved ceiling and cornice painted by Romoli. C18 chimneypiece. Cantilevered open string staircase of c1725 (probably altered in the C19). Carved tread ends and three balusters per tread, two turned and one twisted. The old hall has a monumental chimneypiece with a Gibbs-type surround of alternating projecting blocks. Panelled dado and doorcase with carved friezes. Boudoir has early C19 panelling painted in the early C20 by Cavalieri G Bacci VeJliti and P F Santini. Painted ceiling. The library has a segmental arch and bookcases with fluted friezes. The chapel retains its C17 coffered wooden ceiling. Pulpit of 1669. C17 wooden baluster font. Schnetzler chamber organ of 1779. The chapel was refurbished in 1882 by F J Robinson and again in 1899. The remaining fittings are C19. Three stained glass windows of 1900 by Powells. The billiards room has a large marble chimneypiece and a ceiling painted by G Bacci Veneti and P F Santini. The first floor landing and several bedrooms have C18 raised and fielded panelling and bolection moulded chimneypieces.

Listing NGR: SK4096738648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352223

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 10 Derbyshire,

End of official listing