This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOLLESBURY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOLLESBURY HALL

List entry Number: 1141670

Location

TOLLESBURY HALL, 15, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tollesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 353128

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESBURY CHURCH STREET TL 9410-9510 (east side) 8/8 No. 15 (Tollesbury Hall) 10.1.53 (formerly listed as Tollesbury Hall) GV II*

House. C13, altered in C16, extended in C15 and C17. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with concrete tiles. Hall, formerly aisled, of 2 large bays facing S, with C16 stack to right of centre. C15 crosswing of 2 bays at right end, extending forwards. C17 2-bay extension at left end. Lean-to extension at rear, on site of former aisle, but widerthan it would have been. C20 stair tower, and C20 single-storey extension with hipped roof to rear of crosswing. 2 storeys and attics. Ground floor, 2 C20 sashes and 2 C20 casements. First floor, 3 early C19 sashes of 16 lights, one C20 sash, one C20 casement. Attic, 3 C19 casements in gabled dormers. C20 glazed door. 3 octagonal shafts, rebuilt in C20. C20 wooden guttering of V section on wooden brackets. The hall has unjowled posts, double straight square bracing at the ends, dragon ties, straight square braces to the arcade plates, a moulded capital on one arcade post, oblique trenches for former passing-braces, empty matrices with secret notched lap joints in the straight central tiebeam, and in the rear arcade plate a splayed and tabled scarf with undersquinted square butts, edge-key and face-pegs (the other concealed). At the right end, empty mortices for double rising braces from the central post indicate the former existence of another bay or crosswing, replaced in the C15 by the present crosswing. The late C16 inserted floor comprises 2 chamfered transverse beams, with chamfered joists of horizontal section, having lamb's tongue stops in the left bay and roll stops in the right bay. 2 wood-burning hearths, altered in the C20. Roof above tiebeam level rebuilt in the C17 in clasped purlin form. The crosswing has jowled posts, cambered central tiebeam with one arched brace, an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the right wallplate, an original central partition on the ground floor, and a crownpost roof, complete in the rear bay, rebuilt in the front bay. The floor is constructed in 3 bays, with a chamfered transverse beam with step stops supported on a girt of the hall, and chamfered joists of horizontal section with step stops, jointed to the beams with unrefined soffit tenons. This house was built as a manor house of Barking Abbey (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of Essex, 1768, 1, 402). Structurally, the hall bears close similarities to the wheat barn at Cressing Temple, which has been carbon-dated to 1255 + 60 years (C.A. Hewett,The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700, an Essex Stud , 1969, 40-47, 174,189). Tollesbury Hall may be slightly earlier in date, since it lacks the jowled posts and tying joints which are first recorded at the wheat barn. RCHM 5.

Listing NGR: TL9565110341

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 174
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 189
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 40-47
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 402

National Grid Reference: TL 95651 10341

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141670 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:23:04.

End of official listing