CHURCH OF ST GRADE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1141938
Date first listed:
10-Jul-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GRADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GRADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141938.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:56:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GRADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Grade-Ruan
National Grid Reference:
SW 71220 14297

Details

GRADE-RUAN SW 71 SW 9/2 Church of St Grade 10 7 57 I Parish church. Tower circa 1400. C13 and C14 nave and chancel rebuilt in 1862 incor- porating some remains of earlier fabric. Rubble stone with large ashlar blocks of granite and serpentine in the tower. Separate steeply pitched roofs to nave, chancel, vestry and south porch. Stylistically early Decorated. East window, 3-light with Geometric tracery. North wall, two 2-light windows with small trefoil above. South wall with narrow trefoil-headed lancet near chancel with 2 cusped lights under segmental arches flanking south porch. South door with C14 pointed arch from earlier church. West tower of 2 stages, unbuttressed and battlemented with crocketted finials. 3-centred moulded arch to west door. Perpendicular 3-light west window. 2- light belfry. Vestry and organ projection on north wall under steeply pitched roof with asymmetrical gable end. Exposed collar rafter roof with braces. Pointed white- washed brick chancel arch. Simple mid-C19 pine benches. Mid C19 brick sedilia and piscina (whitwashed). Circa C13 granite font on square base with octagonal shaft and 4 columns. Bow ornamented on 4 faces with emblem and monogram of Virgin Mary, shallow carved stars. Band of quatrefoils at base. On floor at east end of nave, brass commemorating James Ensey and his wife Margaret. Dated 1522. Moved from floor of south transept. Includes effigies of both, former in plate armour over hauberk. Below are figures of 10 children and inscription. At angles of slab 4 shields of arms; chevron between 3 escutcheons, each chaged with a griffin segreant. Also 2 marble mural tablets fixed to inner south wall of tower; to memory of Richard Ensey, 1772. Broken pediment with heraldic shield. Below inscription flanked by pilasters With base supported on corbels. Second tablet to Armiger Ensey (died 8 9 1692) and wife Marie (died July 1699). Inscription in rectangular frame with arms surrounded by foliage below. Slate slab on exterior north wall of chancel, dated 1671 to Hugh Mason. Large coat of arms in centre with inscription below. 3 Bells; 1832 by Copperhouse Hale, 1618 unknown and 1500 - 10 by T Bullisdon all in original bellframe. Source: Kelly's Directory 1889. Schedule of Bells for Preservation 23 December 1978. H B Walter

Listing NGR: SW7122214305

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
64583
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Preservation' in Preservation, (1978)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11093/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Micaela Basford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].