GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147732

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: GREEN, SHUTE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 17:18:48.

Location

Statutory Address: GREEN, SHUTE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bishopsteignton

National Grid Reference: SX 91068 73620

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 9073-9173 BISHOPSTEIGNTON SHUTE HILL (east side), Bishopsteignton 13/69 Green

GV II*

House early C17, possibly a remodelling of an earlier house with several phases of remodelling and extension including a circa mid C19 phase and very thorough alterations of the circa 1920's Red sandstone rubble and 1920s timber framing (Presumably cladding brick); slate roof to main block, gabled at ends, red tiled roof of the 1920s to rear block. Projecting right end stack to main block, lateral stacks to wings now enclosed by various additions. Plan: Extremely complicated plan, the C17 arrangement obscured by the 1920s remodelling. Main block facing south, single depth with a fine early C17 parlour to the right, and unheated room to the left and 2 high quality rooms on the first floor. This block has been remodelled in the C19 with a symmetrical front elevation. A north wing, parallel to the main block and divided from it by a lean-to containing the main entrance, may also be of early origins. The 1920s remodelling was substantial and involved the addition of a clad timber-frame garden room now at the east end. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay south front to main block with rusticated quoins with a 1920s roof dormer to the left and larger gabled dormer to the right. Central C19 half-glazed front door with canted bay windows to the left and right with 12 pane sashes and hipped slate roofs continued as a verandah, 12 pane first floor sashes with probably concrete architraves. At the right end a set-back block with a lean-to roof has a 3 high casement window above a segmental relieving arch which disappears behind the main block. To the right of this a 1920s garden room (now in separate ownership) is timber frame clad with a large ground floor bay window with leaded panes. Further to the right a castellated archway and wall are probably part of the 1920s remodelling. The west elevation, facing Shute Hill, is rather eccentric, gabled to left and right with a lean-to roof between. 1920s front door into lean-to with a sloping porch canopy below a late C18 or early C19 pretty bow window with a 12 pane sash in the centre, 4 pane to the outer lights. The left hand gabled block has deeply recessed wide windows with iron grilles to the ground floor, the first floor is jettied and clad with timber framing with a 1920s bowed oriel window. The gable of the right hand block is also timber-frame clad. Interior: The early C17 plasterwork is outstanding, presumably all of 1615, the date on chimney-piece on the first floor, and combining enriched and single rib patterns on the ground floor. This provides a date for the transition of these types of plasterwork design. The ground floor room ceiling is divided into 3 sections by moulded crossbeams (the idiosyncratic soffit carving probably 1920s) with an enriched rib design in the centre and elegant single-rib designs in the outer sections with floral sprays. A frieze on the rear wall is probably co-eral, and a freeze of flower trails on the front wall above the bay window also appears to be C17 but some of the decoration round the bay is clearly later. Timber chimney piece with carved spandrels and considerable repair. The 2 first floor rooms above have single rib ceilings and the right hand room has a similar carved chimney-piece dated 1615 in the spandrels with the initials NC and MNC, possibly Nicholas and Michael Cave, the plaster cornice survives except against the party wall with the left hand room. Single rib ceiling of a different design to left hand room, where the cornice does not survive against the party wall. Roof: Not inspected at time time of survey. Green was the home of the Cave family from circa 1612 until the late C19. Plaster ceilings of outstanding importance.

Listing NGR: SX9106873620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85733

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing