CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1148402

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 14:06:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Kellington

National Grid Reference: SE 54792 24561

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELLINGTON CHURCH LANE SE 52 SW (west side)

2/6 Church of St Edmund

11.12.67

GV I Church. Norman origins to nave, with mid C12 reconstruction including south door, chancel and lower stages of tower. Mid C14 alterations to chancel and addition of belfry stage to tower. C15 south porch, clerestory, north chapel and buttresses to tower. North aisle and further restorations of 1866-70. Magnesian limestone ashlar with concealed roof to nave, stone roof to south porch and asphalt roof to chancel. 3-stage west tower, 5-bay nave with clerestory, south porch and north aisle. 3-bay chancel with north chapel. Tower has stepped diagonal and angle buttresses. To first stage an inserted 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. First and second stage bands. Second stage blind. Twin-light, Perpendicular bell openings to each side. Battlements. Nave: gabled south porch has plinth and pointed arch with chamfered jambs under hoodmould. Band with gargoyles below embattled parapets to sides. Porch has a stone roof on 4 single-chamfered transverse pointed arches. Stone benches to either side of interior. Round-arched, plank south door within surround with chamfered jambs and imposts supporting chamfered arch. Eroded single nook-shafts support eroded roll-moulding. South side of nave has 2 lancet windows and one 3-light pointed window with cinquefoil headed lights, all under hoodmoulds. North aisle has plinth, diagonal and angle buttresses. Straight-headed 2-light windows with trefoil-headed lights to side and similar 3-light window to west. Clerestory has 4 similar 2-light, straight- headed windows to each side. Moulded parapet. Chancel, which was mostly rebuilt in C19, has diagonal buttress. To south side a blocked pointed priest's door in chamfered surround and 3 lancet windows under hoodmoulds. Pinnacles with crocketed finials and chamfered coping to gable end. East end has 5-light window with reticulated-type tracery, under hoodmould. North chapel. Plinth, angle buttresses. Inserted pointed priest's door. 3-light, straight-headed Perpendicular windows. Low parapet. To east end a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, under hoodmould. Interior. Triple-chamfered tower arch with plain imposts and moulded capitals on triple-chamfered responds under hoodmould with fleurons. Above, a pointed niche with imposts. Nave has 5-bay arcade to north aisle on alternate octagonal and cylindrical piers with double chamfered pointed arches. C19 pointed chancel arch on responds with foliate capitals supporting roll- moulding. 2 arches of different widths from chancel to north chapel. Western arch c1400 is double-chamfered on low octagonal piers, under hoodmould with monk-face stops. That to east is a later and narrower double-chamfered arch on octagonal responds. C19 double-chamfered pointed arch from north aisle to chapel. Trefoil piscina. Font has octagonal base, square plinth and octagonal top inscribed 1663 / MWW / IS / PV / GR / ZI / CW / WS. Wooden altar of 1721. Monuments include Serpent Stone c1350 with eroded raised cross and carvings; a C14 grave slab with incised cross and sword. N Pevsner, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 282-3. E C Hudson, Some Notes on The Parish Churches of Kellington and Whitley.

Listing NGR: SE5479324563

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326479

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 282-283

End of official listing