HESLINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1148497
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
HESLINGTON HALL, UNIVERSITY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HESLINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148497.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:27:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
HESLINGTON HALL, UNIVERSITY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Heslington
National Grid Reference:
SE 62648 50376

Details

HESLINGTON UNIVERSITY ROAD SE 65 SW (west side) 1/73 Heslington Hall 1.11.55 GV II* Country house now part of York University. 1565-1568 for Sir Thomas Eynns with rebuilding of 1852-4 and later additions and alterations. C19 rebuilding by P.C. Hardwick for Yarburgh Yarburgh. c.1903 interior by W. Brierley. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings and some Magnesian limestone ashlar blocks of core exposed to rear, plain tile roof. Centre of 2 storeys with basement and attics, 9 bays and wings of single-bay, 2 storeys with basement and attics, then 2 storeys with 6 first floor windows. Centre: flight of steps to central entrance in porch which is a reproduction of original (q.v.), with round keyed arch on pilasters between pairs of fluted Corinthian columns supporting frieze and triangular pediment with finials to sides and centre. C20 glazed double doors in 4- centred arch with moulded surround. Mainly 2 and 3-light cavetto-moulded mullion and mullion and transom windows in ashlar surrounds except to 2nd and 8th bays which are canted to 1st floor and have 5-light, 2-storey mullion windows with 4 levels of transoms. 1st and 2nd floor bands. Low parapet with three gables, the centre of which is ornamented by coat of arms. Ashlar kneelers, coping and finials. Wings: plinth. End and off- centre entrances in 4-centred surrounds. 2-light mullion and 2 and 3-light mullion and transom windows throughout in ashlar surrounds. 1st and 2nd floor bands. Low parapet. Central gables contain clock and sundial. Ashlar coping and ball finials to gables and gable ends. Mainly clusters of star-shaped stacks. Cast-iron rainwater heads and fall-pipes. Interior: C16 pendant boss ceiling to hall of 2 storeys in height. Several rooms have panelling with strapwork decoration and moulded plaster ceilings by W. Brierley. Inscription to gable to Heslington Lane side (ie south wing rear). - (not visible) - (not visible) ONE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH'S COUNCIL FOR THE NORTHERN PART OF ENGLAND AND SECRETARY AND KEEPER OF HER MAJESTY'S SEAL FOR THE SAID COUNCIL A.D. 1578 IT WAS RESTORED ALTERED AND ENLARGED BY YARBURGH YARBURGH ESQUIRE A.D. 1854

J. P. Neale engraving of 1829 shows that the Victorian restoration was faithful to the original. Eynns was Secretary of the King's Council in The Northern Parts. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, p. 251. Hey, D., Buildings of Britain 1550-1750, Yorkshire, 1981, pp.22-4.

Listing NGR: SE6264850376

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
326185
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)
Hey, D, 'Buildings of Britain 1550-1750' in Yorkshire Buildings of Britain 1550-1750, (1981), 22-24

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03466/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].