CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150735 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:00:09.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Hambleton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 36725 94200
NORTHALLERTON HIGH STREET
6/4 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, early C13, C14, C15; C19 restoration and new chancel by Charles
Hodgson Fowler of Durham c1885. Ashlar sandstone, Westmorland slate and lead roofs.
Cruciform plan; nave with north and south aisles and south porch; transepts with.
tower over crossing; chancel with vestry extension to north of 1977 and not of
special interest. Porch: C15; stepped diagonal buttresses; archway of 2 hollow-
chamfered orders; undercut string; trefoiled niche in low gable; stoup to right;
pinnacles to parapet; water spouts in side returns; crude benches inside. South
aisle: C14, with C15 windows, and reset C13 south doorway with early English.
pointed arch on renewed shafts; plinth; stepped diagonal buttress to left; windows,
one to left and two to right of porch, have 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds and
Perpendicular tracery; plain parapet; medieval coffin outside first bay; 2-light
west window has Y-tracery and double-chamfered surround. South transept: C13,
with C15 5-light Perpendicular window, flanked by buttresses, with sundial on that
to left, and angel and shield with arms of Bishop Neville of Durham, c1450, above
in rebuilt gable; to east, stepped buttresses, sill band and 3 lancet windows.
Tower: c1420; clasping buttresses; ringing chamber has two ogee-headed single
lights with hoodmoulds and C18 clock with hoodmould; belfry openings paired, each
light with mullion and transom, cinque-cusped head, Perpendicular tracery, hood-
moulds; parapet with pinnacles; other sides matching, except clock only on north
side. Chancel: 1895, 3 bays; in better quality ashlar, with plinth, sill band,
stepped buttresses, crenellated parapets, and Perpendicular-style windows of 3
lights to south, 5 lights to east. North transept: C13; 2 lancets visible to east,
the 3rd hidden by vestry addition, a large diagonal buttress to north east, and
heating chamber entrance below; 3-light Perpendicular north window flanked by
pilaster buttresses, C19 gable with vesica window. North aisle: C15; blocked north
doorway with straight-sided arched head with hoodmould; three 3-light cusped windows;
plain parapet; matching west window. Nave, west end: C12; round-arched doorway
of 3 chamfered orders, 1 order shafted, with hoodmould; strings; 4-light Perpendicular
window above; all flanked by pilaster buttresses. Interior: early C12 north
arcade of 4 round arches of 2 orders, the inner order of the easternmost arch
chamfered, and a 5th arch running into the north-west crossing pier, circular piers
with cushion capitals, the 3rd pier from the west a larger size. Nave south
arcade: late C12; 4 arches, a 5th running into south-west crossing pier, double-
chamfered pointed arches with hoodmoulds, circular piers, early English capitals.
Crossing arches: Perpendicular bases; arches with moulding running out into piers,
pointed arches of 3 chamfered orders with labels; above, keeled shafts run up into
tower from head corbels; north-east pier contains stair turret and C13 masonry.
C15 arch from north aisle to transept is wide and has 2 chamfered orders dying into
responds. Similar arch from south aisle to transept, but orders hollow chamfered;
the lancets in the east wall of the south transept are interrupted by a later recess
with leaf capital, in the walls nearby a simple piscina and a corbel with the head
of a king. Chancel: north windows have blind lower traceried panels; vestry door-
way is moulded and pointed with hoodmould on head stops; flanking the east window
are canopied niches with saints; stepped 3-seat sedilia; Perpendicular-style choir
stalls and reading desks. Roofs: nave has early-mid C19 pointed-arched roof
trusses, every second one on wall posts on corbels; Gothic cross-bracing between
trusses; flat aisle roofs have ties on curved braces; transepts have gambrel roofs;
chancel has wooden pointed arched waggon roof. Font: octagonal shaft, fluted with
'linenfold' motif; octagonal basin with date 1662 on one side, initials and
decorative motifs on other sides; tall C18 canopy. Nearby, C20 money box set on
2 medieval grave covers. Monuments: on south aisle wall, undated, probably C16,
inscription tablet surrounded by strapwork, all in frame with Corinthian columns
on head corbels, cornice with putto; white marble tablet on oval block to Samuel
Peat Esq, d 1802; west of porch, monument to Susannah Rigge, d 1828 signed Webster's,
Kendal; at west end, white marble urn and scroll on black marble mount to James
Weston Diemer Esq, d 1815 signed Taylor (or York) Sculpt; in floor of nave aisle,
black marble floor slabs to Mary, wife of John Rudd Esq, d 1705 and Mary, second
wife of Daniel Lascelles Esq, d 1734; at west end of north aisle, wall tablet to
Daniel Mitford (of No 84 High Street, qv) d 1764 and his wife Elizabeth d 1756;
monument erected by Elizabeth, wife of Rev William Cust, Rectory of Danby Wiste,
d 1819, with a Greek sarcophagus and an urn in white marble on a black obelisk;
monument by William Tyler to Thomas Crosfield, d 1761 with a white marble cameo
on a yellow marble tablet with his coat of arms on the cornice, and with an urn
on the obelisk above in black marble; in the floor of the crossing, black marble
slabs including that to Robert Raikes (of Vine House, qv) d 1709 with his coat of
arms, and to Maria, widow of Thomas Crosfield, d 1733; in north transepts, black
marble floor slabs to Mary, wife of Henry Lascelles, d 1721; and to Daniel
Lascelles Esq of Stank Hall (Leeds), d 1734 with his coat of arms. Propped up
against north wall, Baroque grave cover of Marcus Metcalfe, vicar of the church,
d 1593, with a raised coat of arms. Leaning against the west wall of the north
transept, part of a carved wooden Perpendicular screen. On the sill of the north
transept window, ancient carved stones including a Saxon cross head; other fragments
on window sills of north aisle.
VCH i, pp 426-431.
Listing NGR: SE3673894206
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 426-431
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing