STABLE BLOCK TO SOUTH EAST OF ARNCLIFFE HALL INCLUDING NUMBERS 1-5 CONSECUTIVE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151376

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Oct-1990

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK TO SOUTH EAST OF ARNCLIFFE HALL INCLUDING NUMBERS 1-5 CONSECUTIVE, 1-5, INGLEBY CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK TO SOUTH EAST OF ARNCLIFFE HALL INCLUDING NUMBERS 1-5 CONSECUTIVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:56:34.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK TO SOUTH EAST OF ARNCLIFFE HALL INCLUDING NUMBERS 1-5 CONSECUTIVE, 1-5, INGLEBY CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Ingleby Arncliffe

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 45368 00168

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

INGLEBY ARNCLIFFE INGLEBY CROSS NZ 40 SE East side 9/69 Stable block to 23/6/66 south-east of Arncliffe Hall, including Nos.1-5 consecutive. (formerly listed as Hall Stables)

II*

Stable block, c.1754 by John Carr, altered 1905 for Sir Hugh Bell. Herringbone-tooled coursed sandstone; pantiled roof with stone stacks. Rectangular plan with 4 ranges round a courtyard.

Main front has 2 storeys, 7 bays, symmetrical. 3-bay central section has carriage arch flanked by round-arched windows with radial heads. Projecting pedimented penultimate bays have round-arched recesses of similar height with radial overlights above boarded doors. Similar round-arched windows in outer bays; the whole linked by an impost band. 2-light casements on first floor. Modillioned eaves cornice. 2 ridge stacks. Short walls are links to 1-storey, 2-bay outer pavilions, the right with pyramidal roof, the left with raised walls. Each has 2 tall arches, with windows on the left and carriage doors on the right, all with impost bands lower than the central block.

Under the main central arch are plain recessed doorways. Ranges around the courtyard are of 1 storey except for the north side which was raised to 2 storeys, probably by George Jack, and given large tripartite windows to form dwellings. These and the smaller windows elsewhere are all sashes with glazing bars; all doors boarded. Bell coat-of-arms in ceramic plaque with : H.B. for F.J. 1905, on 2-storey section. Stepped and banded ridge stacks.

Listing NGR: NZ4536800168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333127

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

End of official listing