CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151441
Date first listed:
04-May-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BECKETT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 03:24:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BECKETT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 58140 03989

Details

TOWN OF DONCASTER BECKETT ROAD SE 50 SE (south side) Wheatley 3/3 4.5.88 CHURCH OF ST MARY

II

Church. 1885 by Lord Grimthorpe, 1912 chancel. Rock-faced ashlar with plain ashlar dressings and clay tile roof. 6-bay aisled nave with eastern porch and bellcote, narrow single-bay western chancel with flanking vestries. Moulded plinth and continuous sill stringcourse throughout, sill broken by quoined offset buttresses between each bay and similar set back buttresses to each corner. Wide gabled east elevation has projecting low porch, with offset angle buttresses, to centre. This has pointed moulded arch with inner roll mould on nookshafts and hoodmould with head stops. To either side of porch are single trefoil-headed lancets with hoods. Eaves stringcourse, and parapet with moulded copings and central gablet. Gablet with 3 stepped blind lancets. Inner door similar to outer arch but with two orders. Above porch to centre are three adjoining stepped lancets with trefoil heads and continuous hoodmould. Similar lower single lancets to sides. Gableted bellcote to ridge has 4-centred arched bell opening and blind quatrefoil in gable. Nave elevations have large paired trefoil-headed lancets to each bay, west bay of south elevation has pointed doorcase with double roll-moulded arch on paired nookshafts below the reduced lancets. Bracketed eaves. Stone coped gables on moulded kneelers. Chancel has large pointed 3-light geometric traceried west window with hoodmould with beast-stops. South vestry has two trefoil-headed lancets to south and. single one to west, with Caernavon arched door below eastern lancet. Northern vestry similar but single bay. Interior has 5-bay north and south arcades of tall thin banded cast iron columns supporting pointed timber arches and arched braced roof trusses. Tall pointed stone chancel arch flanked by similar lower arches. Moulded stone sill stringcourse to windows. C19 Decorated style timber screen to east end of church. Circular stone font with wooden cover. Carved 1912 reredos and choir stalls. East window c1912 by Dudley Foster (cartoon in the church).

Listing NGR: SE5814003989

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334998
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15658/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].