CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1151504

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 07:43:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Wadworth

National Grid Reference: SK 56878 97068

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH YORKSHIRE DONCASTER 5096

WADWORTH WADWORTH SK59NE

5/65 Church of St. John the 5.6.68 Baptist

1

Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Ashlar and rubble magnesian limestone, slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with north and south porches and aisles which overlap the tower; 2-bay chancel with separately-roofed south chapel and north organ chamber in overlap of aisle.' Tower: Perpendicular; chamfered plinth and moulded band. Diagonal west buttresses flank pointed 3-light west window with hoodmould; north and south clocks beneath belfry stage having pairs of transomed 2-light windows with blind, cusped panels below louvres and shared hoodmoulds. String courses below and above traceried frieze; gargoyles beneath embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Navel south porch has semi-octagonal responds to double-chamfered arch with hoodmould; later embattled ashlar parapet with pinnacles and cross. South door, within porch, has roll-moulded pointed arch with nailhead decoration and hoodmould with carved-head stops; to each side are low benches and round-arched arcading set on detached shafts. Aisle to left, has lancets in south and west walls. Aisle to right has hollow-chamfered plinth, moulded band and offset buttress between 2-light windows with hollow-chamfered surrounds, 2- centred arches and hoodmoulds. String course beneath plain ashlar parapet. Clerestorey: late Perpendicular; 2 square-headed 2-light windows in moulded surrounds; cavetto oversailing course beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnnacles. North side has ashlar porch with double-chamfered arch, hoodmould, gable copings and cross; north door within has round-arched head. Offset buttresses to rubble-walled aisle having Decorated 2-light, pointed-arched window on right of porch and 2 square-headed 2-light windows on its left; west lancet. Clerestorey, heightened in ashlar, has plainer windows than those to south. Aisle and nave parapets as south. Chancel: remodelled c1300 with chamfered plinth and quoins to rubble walling. 5-light east window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with weathered head- carved stops. North aisle has 2-light Y-tracery windows to north and east. Clerestorey windows in ashlar walling are of 4 Tudor-arched lights; ashlar parapet and coped east gable with corner pinnacles and gargoyles. Separately-roofed C14 south chapel has chamfered plinth, moulded band and offset diagonal buttresses; another buttress between pointed south windows of 2 and 3 lights with reticulated tracery-and hoodmoulds. Unusual pointed 4- light east window with mouchettes nodding to centre and transom beneath apex quatrefoil (Pevsner, plate 9b). Ashlar parapet; east gable cross. Interior: tall double-chamfered tower arch; lower arches in same style to north and south. Pointed, hollow-chamfered arches at ends of south aisle have half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Double-chamfered arches to ends of north aisle. North arcade: 3 bays, cylindrical piers and square capitals of c1200; matching responds with crocketed capitals; later double- chamfered arches. South arcade: keeled responds, octagonal piers with moulded capitals, arches as north. In south aisle wall is a 6-bay arcade of round-arched recesses with detached shafts; trefoil-headed recess within eastern arch. Nave roof: Perpendicular with moulded tie beams, purlins and ridge; restored aisle roofs have archbraces set on shield corbels. Chancel arch: of 1829, double-chamfered with corbelled inner order and hoodmould with head-carved stops. 2 double-chamfered arches into south chapel, that on west larger and with corbelled inner order. North wall: trefoil-headed piscina on left of larger segmentally-arched recess. Chancel roof similar to nave, its principals set on short posts which rise from shield corbels. South chapel: sedilia and piscina with cusped ogee heads.Font: C15, octagonal with quatrefoils beneath the rim. Monuments: semi-effigial, twin grave cover to west of font has heads and crossed hands carved in sunken recesses. Beneath east arch into south chapel is a fine alabaster table tomb to Edmund Fitzwilliam (d.1465) and wife Katherine: knight with head on helm and feet on dog set to right of his wife whose head rests on a tasseled cushion, angels with shields to the side panels. To its south another semi-effigial slab with carved recesses showing head and feet beneath ogee canopies. Against south wall of chapel another effigial slab of huntsman with sword and horn, probably C14. Table tomb with inscription to Edmund Fitzwilliam (d.1486) and Katherine (d.1435); its sides have quatrefoils with shields. Various early C19 wall monuments in south chapel; one on east wall has urn and drooping palm tree. Brass: on south respond of chancel arch to John Pierrepoint (d.1653). N. Pevsner, B.O.E, 1967 P. E. Routh, Medieval Effigial Alabaster Tombs in Yorkshire 1976,, p.lZ9.

Listing NGR: SK5687897071

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334839

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Routh, P E, Medieval Effigial Alabaster Tombs in Yorkshire, (1976), 129

End of official listing