ROSSINGTON HALL AND ATTACHED QUADRANT WALL ON SOUTH EAST SIDE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151517

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: ROSSINGTON HALL AND ATTACHED QUADRANT WALL ON SOUTH EAST SIDE, BAWTRY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROSSINGTON HALL AND ATTACHED QUADRANT WALL ON SOUTH EAST SIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151517 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:46:05.

Location

Statutory Address: ROSSINGTON HALL AND ATTACHED QUADRANT WALL ON SOUTH EAST SIDE, BAWTRY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Rossington

National Grid Reference: SK 63798 96654

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK69NW ROSSIN6TON BAWTRY ROAD (west side, off) 7/68 Rossington Hall and - attached quadrant wall on south-east side GV II Large house now school Dated 1882, altered C20. By W. M. Teulon for James Brown Jnr (d.1877); finally executed for his nephew R. J. Streatfield. Red brick in English bond with moulded ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys with attics, 5 x 5 bays; attached quadrant wall encloses small garden on right return (south-east side). In Jacobethan style. Entrance front: nearly symmetrical; outer bays have 2-storey flat-roofed projections and are linked by a 1-storey ashlar-faced lobby having central double door and overlight flanked by pilasters; to each side are 2 pairs of sashes with overlights divided by pilasters; cornice beneath pierced parapet with dies over each pilaster having urns and pedimented plaque over door. Projections to bays 1 and 5 each have moulded plinth, octagonal corner piers and French window with plain fanlight flanked by blind ashlar panels and by tall transomed lights beneath a cornice; quoined lst-floor windows in same style; cornice beneath pierced ashlar parapet with octagonal corner piers. Central bays over lobby are divided by pilasters; tripartite central window with round-headed centre-light; bay 2 and 3 have transomed 2-light windows. 2nd floor: string course beneath superimposed order of pilasters flanking the central bay which has tripartite window beneath pedimented cornice; bays 2 and 4 have windows as 1st floor but with cornices; bays 1 and 5 are flanked by semi-octagonal brick piers and have French windows with transomed side- lights in quoined and corniced surrounds. Arcaded parapet terminates at shaped gables set over the end bays; each gable having corbelling beneath blind arcading; a corner stack rises to right of bay 5. Hipped roof with stacks to front slope on right of bay 1, to ridge on right of bay 3 and to side ridges set to rear; the stacks have ashlar shoulders and panelled sides with keystones beneath decorative, coved cornices. Set back on right and attached to rear-right corner of house is a quadrant wall with moulded plinth and with intermediate piers linked by a cresting of paired, inverted round arches; tall corniced end piers with ball finials. Near junction with house is a moulded-arched doorway with cornice; at other end is a spur wall with smaller, ball-finialled end pier. Left return: asymetrical, articulated facade with octagonal corner piers corbelled from lst-floor level. Near- central projection with elaborate 2-storey porch on its right having doorway with keyed archivolt flanked by banded ashlar piers supporting inverted consoles; part-fluted angle pilasters to 1st floor flank a quoined 3-light window beneath round-headed gable with arms and date 1882. Right return: 2-storey projection to bay 1; 3-storey projection to bay 5; generally detailed as front with French windows to bays 1, 3 and 4. Interior: entrance hall has marble Ionic columns and alabaster pilasters; imperial stair with turned balusters and ball-finialled newels; panelled dado, corniced doorcases and modillioned ceiling cornice. Room off corridor to left has panelled oak dado and corniced doorcase; ceiling with moulded ribbing and rosettes. Oak dog-leg stair, off same corridor, has twisted balusters infilled with panels pierced by crosses; ball-finialled newels. C20 additions to rear and fire escape on entrance front are not of special interest. James Brown, a Leeds woollen manufacturer, purchased the Rossington estate in 1838 and by 1855 had engaged Teulon to draft a scheme to extend the existing Georgian house in the Gothic Revival style. Presumably the scheme was never executed as Teulon was engaged by James Brown Jnr to design the present structure on a cleared site. F. A. Clarke, Rossington: glimpses into the past, 1986,pp16 and 17 (plates show hall prior to removal of numerous architectural ornaments). Rossington Hall drawings collection, Doncaster Archives, King Edwards Road, Balby.

Listing NGR: SK6379896654

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334769

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clarke, F A, Rossington Glimpses into the Past, (1986), 16-17

End of official listing